Smoothing Imbc And Smbc

Decorating By SPCOhio Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 3:57am by SPCOhio

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

I'm familiar with the various techniques for smoothing buttercream that is shortening based or at least contains a mixture of shortening, but can anyone offer advice for smoothing IMBC and SMBC? I know it's possible because a bakery in my town achieves it perfectly but I haven't had much luck with it yet. I think I get pretty close by refrigerating the iced cake and then hot-knifing it and perhaps more practice with that will get me there. I'm eager to know some other methods other bakers have tried.

5 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:34am
post #2 of 6

It's called practice and a good bench scraper. Since SMBC and IMBC is quite soft when you are working with it it's really quite easy to get a nice smooth finish. I crumb coat as smoothly as possible then refrigerate. Once cool I apply a second coat of frosting and smooth with the bench scraper: never have a problem. Practice makes perfect...good luck.

SPCOhio Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I suspected it's a lack of experience on my part. icon_biggrin.gif

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:29am
post #4 of 6

Hi there! I found this video tutorial last month and it's a really effective method for any butter-based frosting that can be chilled and hardened between coats. I bought the metal scraper she's using and had my boyfriend cut and sandpaper down one end so it could lay flat (to allow you to keep the scraper perpendicular to the cake board as you're smoothing the sides). Hope that helps!

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

I use the upside down icing method, and do my final smoothing with a hot bench scraper (I use boiling water to get it hot). Perfectly smooth icing, and perfectly sharp sides and edges!

SPCOhio Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 3:57am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%