I Finally Mastered Sharon Zambito's Recipe!!!

Decorating By Rosie2 Updated 14 Oct 2012 , 5:09am by Apti

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 21

Wohoooo!!! I'm doing a happy dance right now LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
You guys have no idea how many times I've tried her recipe with disastrous result! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Her recipe is for a 5 qt KA and mine is 4.5qt sooooo, I kept on trying to adjust...and adjust...and adjust!! and always got the air-bubbly icing grrr icon_mad.gif until finally yesterday(before I went and bought a 5qt KA) I got it!!!

Okay so for a 4.5qt KA this is exactly how I adjusted the ingredients:
5 cups of sweetex shortening (her recipe calls for 5.5 cups)
4.5 cups of powder sugar (a bit less than her recipe)
18 tbsps of liquid creamer including flavoring (a bit more than her recipe)
Whip for about 10mnts and viola!!! icing without no air bubbles...phewwww, this really is an accomplishment for me! icon_smile.gif
So for those of you that keep struggling...there is HOPE!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ya'll have a great day...we have sunshine in my area and 80' yessssss icon_biggrin.gif

Oh btw, here's Sharon's recipe if you're not familiar with it
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/sugarshacks-icing-and-tips

20 replies
momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 21

Thanks for sharing!!!

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 21

Congrats!!! I know exactly how you feel, the same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I had given up a year ago and wasn't even going to try anymore...but then I got a new mixer and finally bought hi-ratio...and there it was....perfect buttercream. I walked on air that whole evening icon_biggrin.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 21

Rosie:
I'm in Seattle too. Can you believe we finally have Summer?!? I thought it would never come.
Thanks for the icing instructions.
shanter

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks so much for sharing that. I also have a 4.5 qt KA and haven't even tried her recipe because of that. Can't wait to give it a try. Great perseverance!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:09am
post #6 of 21

Is the amount of powdered sugar correct, you have listed 4.5 cups and shouldn't it be pounds? Just wondering.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:48am
post #7 of 21

Is the sugar amount right? And how do i figure out what size my KA is? Ive had it for years and dont remember what size it is thanks

ashya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashya Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:05am
post #8 of 21

Thank you! I also have a 4.5 qt. KA and tried to adjust the recipe with no luck.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 2:30am
post #9 of 21

Congrats Ro--

I just made a batch and it seems grainy to me- ugh!!!!-- I don;t think I have ever really mastered it though- so.... this is probably par for the course- ha

I better check my mixer- I always thought that I had a 5qt- maybe its a 4.5---hmm-

Thanks for posting-

Mo

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 6:42am
post #10 of 21

Seems like a lot of shortening for 4.5 cups of sugar that's only a little over a pound of sugar to 5 cups of shortening.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 8:29am
post #11 of 21

Thanks for posting

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 21

I sure hope I can master it one day! I tried it the other night for my wedding cake today and definitely not the right results. i have a 6-qt and tried to adjust according to some of her instructions but it definitely did't work icon_sad.gif If anyone is out there that has a 6-qt and can get it to work, PLEASE fill me in!! I also don't want to keep wasting all that expensive Sweetex.

laurabeth73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth73 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks for posting this! Congratulations!!! I!d much rather be where you are today, its supposed to be 103 here!

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 4:23am
post #14 of 21

Ahhhh, thank you for catching up the mistake. And and all of you are correct: it is indeed 4.5 lbs not cups of sugar...sorry icon_redface.gif I guess I was too excited to think straight LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 4:33am
post #15 of 21

Ok thanks now back to your happy dance and of course baking and frosting

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyblueeye

Congrats!!! I know exactly how you feel, the same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I had given up a year ago and wasn't even going to try anymore...but then I got a new mixer and finally bought hi-ratio...and there it was....perfect buttercream. I walked on air that whole evening icon_biggrin.gif

Ahhh, so that's the answer then! give it a break and come back to it LOL icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 6:50pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

Is the sugar amount right? And how do i figure out what size my KA is? Ive had it for years and dont remember what size it is thanks

Kazita, same thing happened to me so you know what I did?? I went and purchased an extra bowl to fit my KA and yeah the bowl was for a 4.5 KA!! icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

Rosie:
I'm in Seattle too. Can you believe we finally have Summer?!? I thought it would never come.
Thanks for the icing instructions.
shanter

Shanter!!! where in Seattle do you live?? yaaaaayy we have sunshine again and it's gonna be 81' wohooo!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

Ok thanks now back to your happy dance and of course baking and frosting

LOL, thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 4:37am
post #20 of 21

cool! thanks for sharing

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile