Questions About Fundraisers...

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 9:33am by docofthedead

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:08am
post #1 of 9

I had someone email me today asking if I do baking for fundraisers. I am not opposed to the idea at all, but from a business stand point, I realize I cannot be donating to everyone who asks, and I would be quite picky about who I would donate to. I don't have any other info from the lady about what the fundraiser is for, but how do I go about wording a response to her? Any help would be so apprecited- everyone here is just so helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:16am
post #2 of 9

You email her back with this:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Please provide me with additional details including the charity's website and tax number."

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 4:20am
post #3 of 9

I have my own preferred charities and fundraising events so I rarely respond to solicitations for donations. IF you are interested in donating, by all means, get as much information as you can. Keep in mind, though, that if you respond to several of them, the word will get out quick and you will be inundated with requests. Set a specific amount that you will donate each year - - 3 gift certificates, four 6" cakes, etc., and stick to it. I'm a firm believer in giving back, but I don't want to damage my business in order to do so.

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 5:01am
post #4 of 9

Excellent suggestions! Thank you!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 9

Also keep in mind that donating to charities in order to use "the publicity" to get future cake orders is generally a losing proposition. So if you donate, make it to something you truly believe in, and don't have any expectations of getting future business from the donation.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 9

^ Read that response to yourself at least 982749849571834 times. You will NOT get orders from your donation. You will get more requests for donations. If its a cause you believe in, then give with a loving spirit, but don't ever consider it to be "marketing."

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

^ Read that response to yourself at least 982749849571834 times. You will NOT get orders from your donation. You will get more requests for donations. If its a cause you believe in, then give with a loving spirit, but don't ever consider it to be "marketing."

Agree. Some CC posters will say they do get orders from donating, but that is NOT the norm.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 1:03am
post #8 of 9

Actually, asking if they are a registered charity (the tax #) filters the legitimate charities from the bottom feeders.

Asking for information about the charity does NOT promise them a donation.

You can also say, if you prefer, "Thanks for your inquiry, my charity budget has already been committed".

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 9:33am
post #9 of 9

I agree with all these ideas. If it is not a charity that you want to donate to, there is always a polite way to decline.
We are a military family, so our "genre" of charities that we donate to is always ones that benifit our soldiers, like the Wounded Warrior Project, Operation Homefront, Wish4OurHeroes..etc.
I happen to be the Special Events Coordinator for the TN/KYchapter of Operation Homefront. Part of my job is soliciting as many donations as I can, in order for us to better assist our families. Last year I planned a HUGE event where we filled 500+ backpacks with school suplies and handed them out to our Military kids. I had many vendors donate things, such as bouncy houses and popcorn machine, etc. We have a charity here called "free cakes for kids" who will graciously donate a cake to a military child that otherwise would not receive a cake. I contacted them about my event, and let me tell you....they blew me away!!! I had them lined up at the door donating sheet cakes, cup cakes, cookies, cake pops etc. They gave so many people such a great treat that day! So I guess if I look at it from the perspective of somebody on the receiving end (not the business side), if it is something you can truely put your heart into it...DO IT!! Regardless if you get any business out of it...you may still be touching somebody that day in a way that is worth more than the time and effort you put into your donation.
JMO..

usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%