Do You Allow Cake Pick Ups?

Business By flossgrl Updated 6 Jul 2012 , 1:59pm by aprilismaius

flossgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flossgrl Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

Do you allow pick up of wedding cakes, and if so, how do you handle it when clients are late?

7 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 12:44am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossgrl

Do you allow pick up of wedding cakes, and if so, how do you handle it when clients are late?

I would not allow the pick up of a wedding cake personally. Too much can happen between your door and the reception that they will invariably put back on you...even if you have a clause in your contract that addresses this. Of course if it's only 1 or 2 tiers...or just a sheet cake, then it would be easier for someone to transport, but if you're talking 3 or more tiers, I wouldn't allow it.

I hope the cake is paid for. If you are waiting for someone to come pick up a paid-for cake, I imagine someone will show up. If it's not paid for, then who knows. I'd start calling whoever is supposed to come get it and find out what's going on.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 12:47am
post #3 of 8

I do allow customers to pick up any cake that is not tiered provided it is paid in advance.
Anything that is stacked I don't allow, I can only imgine the potential for disaster. thumbsdown.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 8

I allow pick-ups of up to 2 tier cakes but never anything more like a 3 tier wedding cake. Flowers can get damaged once they leave here. Ppl other than cake decorators don't know how to store cakes when they collect them. I have seen people put boxes of cupcakes in a hot trunk. Imagine that. I have to tell them to keep them in the car with ac. Also, car seats are slanted and most ppl WILL rest a cake in the box on that slanted angle and expect nothing to go wrong.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 8

I ask when they would like to pick up the cake. Then they say "10 am" and I say "Ok, that sounds perfect, but I have to head out at 10:30 am for an appointment." And then they come on time icon_smile.gif

I would deliver anything over 2 tiers though.

flossgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flossgrl Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 10:11am
post #6 of 8

I always have payment in full first. The trouble has been them keeping the appointed time. Love the line of having to run out or leave for a delivery soon after. I am also only going to allow cupcakes and sheet cakes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 11:53am
post #7 of 8

I have always allowed pickups of three tiers or less. That's actually what SPS was created for!

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 6 Jul 2012 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 8

@flossgrl, I do allow pick-ups, but only during a given timeframe on Saturday mornings between 7:30 and 11:00. I make sure they understand I am leaving for wedding cake deliveries at 11:30. If they aren't there, too bad, so sad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%