Craftsy Instructional Videos

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 29 Dec 2012 , 1:37am by vgcea

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 5:48pm
post #31 of 38

Hi, all!  I took advantage of the 50% sale and purchased both of Collette's videos which I thoroughly enjoyed and learned a lot of new techniques.  I also added Ms. Sousa's second video to my collection and must say it was full of new things as well.  I look forward to more wonderful videos in the future.

Happy Holidays!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 24 Nov 2012 , 10:36pm
post #32 of 38

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I suppose it's all about your expectations before you purchase - for me, if something is labelled as being advanced fondant, I expect the fondant work to be exemplary. 

I understand covering flaws with elements, but personally I try to make sure that my fondant work is done well as I go along, to prevent having the need to have things to cover the flaws - if you get to the stage where you are ready to stack the cakes and realise that in fact, the cake would look better without a fondant ribbon border, then gaping holes at the base would mean you really don't have the option to go without.  Also - having a perfect fondant finish makes the rest of your embellishments sit nicer.

Once again though, if you were happy with the classes, then that is brilliant - it's just that someone asked for feedback of the courses and this was mines, you can take it or leave it.

experimenting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
experimenting Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 8:53pm
post #33 of 38

I'm glad I ran across this thread as I just purchased my second and third classes from craftsy. I'm very happy with 2 of my 3 purchases, so I think I'll ask for a refund for the third and try a different class.

I see (mostly) positive feedback for Handcrafted Sugar Flowers by Jacqueline Butler, but have not seen any feedback on Fashion-Inspired Fondant by Joshua John Russell. Has anyone taken this class? Can I get some opinions on it?

Joshua John Russell's other class, Modern Piping, is one of my previous purchases and I am happy with it. I thought another class by him would probably be good as well, but wanted to get some opinions first.

Would anyone recommend Fashion-Inspired Fondant over Handcrafted Sugar Flowers or vice versa?

Thanks!

HowToIceACake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowToIceACake Posted 26 Dec 2012 , 4:19pm
post #34 of 38

Just got "Vintage Cakes, Modern Methods", but am struggling to get the video to play properly :-(

I don't have problems streaming on any other sites, so I am not sure whats wrong. 

Interested to see if the class is any good when I finally get it working!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 27 Dec 2012 , 1:23pm
post #35 of 38

You might want to try and watch it in another resolution, or unclick the HD button. Also, another browser might work. If all else fails, send them an email, they are very helpful. I had a problem viewing one of the classes and got a refund.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 5:16pm
post #36 of 38

I loved the preview feature they used to have.  I am really disappointed that they took that away, I like to have an idea of what I am getting before I order it.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 6:51pm
post #37 of 38

AI bought vintage cakes, modern methods and handcrafted sugar flowers... I got a refund in both of those as they were so slow-paced and long winded that I couldn't watch them. I agree with a previous poster that they are good for insomniacs! I was disappointed in the content on the flower one as you only learn about small flowers (hydrangeas and filler flowers) I thought there would be more. I also bought maggie Austins fondant frill and the chocolate one when they were on 50% sale and was really pleased with those purchases. I would highly recommend Maggie's course. The chocolate one I was happy with the purchase as it was about $10... I wouldn't pay more.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 29 Dec 2012 , 1:37am
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by experimenting 

I'm glad I ran across this thread as I just purchased my second and third classes from craftsy. I'm very happy with 2 of my 3 purchases, so I think I'll ask for a refund for the third and try a different class.

I see (mostly) positive feedback for Handcrafted Sugar Flowers by Jacqueline Butler, but have not seen any feedback on Fashion-Inspired Fondant by Joshua John Russell. Has anyone taken this class? Can I get some opinions on it?

Joshua John Russell's other class, Modern Piping, is one of my previous purchases and I am happy with it. I thought another class by him would probably be good as well, but wanted to get some opinions first.

Would anyone recommend Fashion-Inspired Fondant over Handcrafted Sugar Flowers or vice versa?

Thanks!

Depends. I have both, only gone part of the way with Josh's cos I've been busy. Joshua's class is fun, exciting and pretty cool. One major  sell for me was that he teaches you how to make and use silicone molds. I haven't worked with those so that made me want the class. Jacqueline's class is a little boring BUT chuck full of excellent techniques IF you're new to sugar flowers. An advanced artist may take away a few tips too. Her dusting technique is excellent, and she is quite meticulous almost to the point of being tedious BUT i LOVE that, I learn well by seeing the same thing over and over and over... you catch my drift? Both videos are great, and I would recommend both but if you must choose then decide if you want to go the fun non-traditional route (Josh) or classic techniques route (Jacqueline). Also if you do more fabric/fashion type cakes the choice of Josh's class is a no-brainer. Traditional, floral type cakes? Go with Jacqueline.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%