How Do You Adjust The Wasc Recipe With The Smaller Cake Mix?

Baking By KayMc Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 1:22am by nhbaker

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

I purchased my first Betty Crocker cake mixes in many months yesterday. And they are so much smaller, I was shocked! I typically use the WASC recipe, and am wondering how you all have been modifying it to accommodate the smaller mix size. Thanks for any suggestions!

7 replies
KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 8

bump

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 8

I use Duncan Hines, and they did the same thing. The box went from 18.25 oz. to 16.5 oz. I just bought an extra mix and weighed out the difference. The 1.75 oz difference made about 1/3 cup. Now I just keep an extra opened mix in a plastic container and dip out 1/3 cup to add to the box I'm mixing up.

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you, poohsmomma, for already calculating this change. I appreciate your willingness to share.

KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

Oh my! What an ingenious idea! thank you! Can you freeze the dry cake mix between uses? Or, how long will it last in a tupperware container on the shelf?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Jul 2012 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 8

I wrote the expiration date on the plastic container. I figured it would be good until then-if it's not already gone. Does anyone else have any ideas on how long it would keep?

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 1:09am
post #7 of 8

I was told that there is no change, it still comes out fine. But I think I may start doing this too. Just because a few cakes seemed like they lacked something...glad those were family cakes. But I was just bewildered.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 1:22am
post #8 of 8

I have done several with the smaller mixes and still use the same recipe - still comes out the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%