Quick Question About Mmf Consistency

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 4:57pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 5:27am
post #1 of 5

I'm wondering if I should still add more powdered sugar - it seems like it's a little softer than play dough. Should I un-baggie it and add more ps?

4 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 11:32am
post #2 of 5

You can definitely add more powdered sugar if you don't like the consistency.

I've found that making marshmallow fondant is a lot like making bread, you have to kind of adjust the amount of shortening and powdered sugar depending on the humidity in the air. I don't add all the powdered sugar at the beginning. Once I have most of the sugar mixed in, I dump the mixture onto the counter and have a half cup of shortening on one side and a couple cups of powdered sugar on the other. Then, I start adding a little of each at a time, kneading it like bread. If it's too soft, I add a little more sugar. Too sticky? Add a little shortening. You'll get the feel of it.

Wildgirl Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

letsgetcaking Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5

You're welcome! What kind of cake are you making?

Wildgirl Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

It's a grad cake for some good friends - Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake with a strawberry/cream cheese icing filling and probably cream cheese frosting. The grad saw some silk flowers somewhere that she loved and so is now searching for them again. That would take care of that part - if she finds them. Otherwise I have to somehow make fondant lime green w/polka dot flowers (when I've not made fondant flowers before) - (like how I've never made a fondant figure either).

----- just got a phone call from the grad. They CANNOT find the silk flowers - so I will have to make them. I just wish I didn't have anything else to do!!!!

How will I make the polka dots... or should I just do lime green????

Quote by @%username% on %date%