Help With Resume..

Decorating By Charmed Updated 11 Jul 2012 , 2:21pm by Charmed

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 6

A bakery/cake shop in our area is looking for a part-time bakery assistant/cake icer to help with general bakery and cake decorating in their shop. I am a hobby cake decorator and I have never worked in a bakery/cake shop but I would like to do so. They said in their ad to send your resume. I don't have cake shop/bakery work experience. so I don't know what to put in my resume ,I don't know how to approach this and what to do. I'd really like to start working in a cake shop. I appreciate your advice and help with this. thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 6

There are many examples of resumes and cover letters online.

It doesn't matter that you don't have bakery experience, just make a complete resume and you'll find that many of your previous duties are beneficial to other work environments as well. They'll find that you have multiple skills, responsibilities, a great work ethic, and ability to learn in many areas. Good luck!

Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with what the others posted also, do you have a portfolio with some of your work that can be showed to them, while you might not have Bakery experience per say, if you show them some of your work, they will see you do have experiance icon_smile.gif Good luck!

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 6

A lot of employers want an experienced baker but a lot would rather have someone who knows the basics then they can mold you into the perfect employee. Not everyone wants to hire a know it all but wants to teach you his or her own way. Good luck icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 6

You need to write a clear and concise cover letter explaining your situation. Make sure you state in the letter that you look forward to meeting with them and showing them your portfolio. Regardless of whether or not you have experience in baking or decorating, other areas of your work experience can be just as useful. Things like time management, projects, or any management skills can be beneficial, just like CWR41 mentioned. Make sure with your job history you use action words like "managed, created, developed," etc.

You can also include a skills/certification section where you list any basic knowledge you have which would be relevant to the job (something like a Wilton cake decorating class).

Your cover letter and resume are going to be the bomb. You will get an interview. When you get that interview that is the time to bring a portfolio. You may be asked to decorate a small cake as part of your interview so be prepared for that. Make sure you send a thank you letter right after your interview and then follow up a few days later. You can do it!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all ladies. I wish there was a template for cake decorating resume skills for reference. I have seen some examples but mostly for pastry chefs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%