Sticky/tacky Fondant Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By cakecraving Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 8:59pm by cakecraving

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 6

Well I am fairly new to cake decorating. I have been doing it about a year. This last Saturday was my first outdoor wedding. I did my friends wedding for her. 4 tiers and a sheet cake (free) where my friend kind of took advantage of the free cake but that is a whole new thread.
Anyways I used MMF to cover all tiers and when it came time to cut the cake. It was very tacky and the tiers were sticking together. The sheet cake cut like a pro (no problems at all) but it was in the fridge up until it was needed.
It was an outdoor wedding in CA. So my question is how can I avoid all of the tiers sticking together next time. Should the cake stay in the fridge until time to use it? Should I change fondant and start buying it instead of making it? Is there anything I can do differently to avoid this in the future?
Please help I have never had this happen and I dont know what else I could have done. Thank god the cake held up the whole time and never melted. It looked great for pictures. But when it came time to cut it.it was a flippin mess.
Any advice will be taken to heart
Thanks

5 replies
cakecraving Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 6

Cant someone out there give me some advise. I want to learn from my mistakes and become a better caker. Please help icon_smile.gif

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 6

How hot was it the day of the event and how long was the cake outdoors?

Were the tiers separated properly or were they laying upon one another?

It seems to definately be the heat, but without more info, it's hard to respond

cakecraving Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 6

It was about 90 outside. It was brought out between 6:30 and 7:00pm and cut at 9:30pm so not to long outside. I stacked with wooden dowles and two cake plates per tier. I wanted to SPS but did not have enough time to order.
Thanks for your help

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 6

What area of CA are you in? It might be the recipe of MMF you used. I never had problems w/any when I was in the central valley.

cakecraving Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 6

Sacramento

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%