Blue Singapore Orchids

Decorating By sea-chelles Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 3:58pm by BakingIrene

sea-chelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sea-chelles Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all I'm looking for a wee bit of advice I hope you can help.
I have been asked to make a spray of sugar flowers for a wedding cake but the bride and groom would like to have blue Singapore orchids which are just beautiful - my problem is matching the colours exactly which is very important to them. Which colours/products would you suggest I use? I live in the UK if that helps. If anyone has made a spray of these at all would it be possible to link a picture?
Many thanks in advance x

1 reply
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 2

Rosemary Drysdale wrote a series of sugarcraft flower books in the 1990's and oine of them has blue orchids of some sort--maybe not your species.

Check the Dunn-Peck-Warren book on sugar orchids. Also the Dunn books on exotic sugar flowers.

These books show how to blend dusting powders to get the exact botanical shade for many species. They also show what base shade of gumpaste to start with, to get the exact correct shade after the dusting has been finished.

Worst case is you buy several dusting powders and blend until you can match a real flower...which flower should be provided by your customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%