Cake Stackers.com

Decorating By DiddleMeSweet Updated 6 Jan 2014 , 9:46pm by daugaardsam

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:41am
post #1 of 7

Has any one used cake stackers stacking/ tier system? I've watched this on YouTube and it seems practical and cost effective. What are your thoughts?

6 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 7

I looked at the website. These are metal. They would be very strong, but I think the pins between tiers look too thin. Yah it says they are stainless steel, which can bend I also wonder how easy it is to screw those pins into the underside of the plate... it seems that you assemble once and delivery that way.

The SPS and crystal clear systems pillars push into the registering tops of the pins/pillars. MUCH easier to take apart for delivery and then re-assemble onsite. The pillars are a wider diameter so they hold very well. I built my own system because it was for a hexagonal cake back when they didn't make those plates...

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

They would be very strong, but I think the pins between tiers look too thin. Yah it says they are stainless steel, which can bend

It would take a lot to bend a stainless steel pin. The rose nail in my "How to Make BC Roses on a Stick" video is a stainless steel rod, and I can't bend it if I tried (without using a vice and a hammer). Stainless is a very brittle metal... it would probably snap and break before it would bend very far. Thin SS rods are strong enough when using for the intended purpose.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 7

Well anybody who works in a kitchen with a commercial dishwasher has seen bent stainless cutlery...

But the real point of difference is that the pillars have to be screwed into the underside of the plate. That is the no-go feature for me.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Well anybody who works in a kitchen with a commercial dishwasher has seen bent stainless cutlery...

Not a good comparison... cutlery is long and flat. If SS cutlery was 4" long and round it wouldn't bend.

Round ANYTHING is more structurally sound than flat ANYTHING! Even if a round rod wasn't solid, but a hollow tube, it's still stronger compared to a flat piece or even a square tube. Monster trucks are built this way for a reason.

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll definantly look into the sps and crystal clear system.

daugaardsam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daugaardsam Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 7

I have the Cake Stackers system and I love it. Assembly and dis-assembly are easy. As for the rods you screw them into the plates before even building your cake. All my cakes are level and secure and I can travel over pot holes to deliver cakes with no problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%