Cake Methods Of Cake Decorating

Decorating By DiddleMeSweet Updated 19 Jul 2012 , 10:28pm by BakingIrene

DiddleMeSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiddleMeSweet Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 8

I am very interested in mastering the Nirvana Method, Austrailian Method, Lambeth Method, and the Oriental Method of cake decorating. I find the work very beautiful and truely one that I wish could be found at stores.

So my question is...what books should I buy? I am looking for books for the Oriental Method and the Austrailian Methods of cake decorations. I did find some books on the Nirvana Method...but I am uncertain of their detail.

I just received "The Art of Royal Icing" by Edie Spence MBE and fell in love w/ it! The instructions are truely easy and the step by step photos are helpful!

I also received "The International School of Sugar Craft" volumes 1, 2, and 3. Again each book is very detailed and instructive!

Last, I just relieved "Collette's Cakes The Art of Cake Decorating" by Collette Peters. It's very instructive, but the instructional pictures could be better. The final pictures of the cakes are the only ones in color.

I do plan on making several small cakes to practice these Methods of cake decorating. Sorry, I just believe using a cake dummy is cheating...and my kids will enjoy their individual cakes.

Anxiously awaiting for your responses...Thank You again!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 8

Australian method: there are buckets of second hand books by authors Vercoe&Evans, Guertner, Laver, Australian Womens Weekly, etc. Any edition will do.

If you master the International School vol 2 you can use the Nirvana books (there were 4 different books, all different designs).

DiddleMeSweet Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:45am
post #3 of 8

The International School of Sugarcraft has 4 volumes? Really? I only found 1, 2, and 3. Thanks...I'll look into it

BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

Nirvana published 4 different books. If I remember correctly, he called his method the "Oriental Method". The books assume that you have worked your way through Eddie Spence or the International School vols 1&2.

International School has only 3 volumes.

Lambeth method requires the use of royal icing as no other icing will hold up to the many overpiped layers. Lambeth also showed commercial cakes decorated with buttercream and marzipan in his books.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 8

LOL if you are going to practice Lambeth you will need a dummy for sure. Lambeth decorating takes eons to do, depending on how intricate the design is. Most of those classic/older methods are done on rich fruit cakes because of their durability.

DiddleMeSweet Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 9:47am
post #6 of 8

Thank you BakingIrene! I'll be on the look out for all four Nirvana books and I am looking into the authors for the Australian Method that you've provided.

DiddleMeSweet Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 10:31am
post #7 of 8

Thank you BakingIrene! I'll be on the look out for all four Nirvana books and I am looking into the authors for the Australian Method that you've provided.

BakingIrene Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 8

You didn't ask but for South African books the authors to look for are Rita Meintjes, Margie Smuts, Kate Venter, Jill Maythem. Kate Venter wrote 3 different books that have also been issued as a single volume.

Other British authors Audrey Ellis, Evelyn Wallace (super).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%