Do I Really Have To Use Ganache Under Fondant?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 11:27am by wafawafa

Pearl645 Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 4

This week was the 1st time I made the correct 2:1 chocolate ganache recipe and got the most beautifully square cakes. I get the same beautiful square cakes with my wilton BC recipe but because my BC isn't firm like ganache, all the edges and corners get rounded once fondant is applied. Are there any other icings that you guys use other than ganache that can give the same sharp edges? Royal icing, all shortening BC,etc? Ganache is very expensive to make. I have put my BC cakes to get cold in the freezer for a short while but because my kitchen is usually 92 degrees F (no ac in here and no ac where the cake is going) the fondant starts melting on the cake as it comes down to room temp.What can you all suggest?

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 4

I have never used ganach - ever. It sounds to me like you might be rolling your fonant too thick if it always rounds the edges & corners. I can't say that has happened to me.

Pearl645 Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 4:29am
post #3 of 4

What do you use under your fondant to get sharp edges? An all shortening BC? I'm rolling my fondant to about 1/4" thick.

wafawafa Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:27am
post #4 of 4

I am happy with the ganache , its easy to make and under fondant its awsome, u will find some vedios in youtube about how to apply it

I used to use BC , but now am ganach girl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%