Friday Night Cake Club 6/29/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 9:22pm by catlharper

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:34am
post #1 of 15

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's up, what'cha working on?

Cat

14 replies
catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:39am
post #2 of 15

HI there everyone!

Fairly quiet Friday night for me as I head into a crazy week. We are having a family picnic tomorrow...about 22 of us...and we are putting on a "Cookie Bar". Each family brings a dozen homemade cookies and that's dessert. Whatever is left over is then divided and each family takes home an assortment of leftover cookies. So I had my Chocolate Crack to make (look it up in the recipes here...yummy!) and I decided to learn a new cake technique.

You can see the results here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2357712/creme-and-gold-wedding-cake

I am always trying to push myself, learn new stuff and then use it as I move on in my career. I decided, since I have these molds anyways, that I would try molded fondant. So I looked up a few You Tube videos and decided to whip up a demo cake with this technique. What I can say is that this is labor intensive! Not something I would do again. Hours and hours of work and while it does look cool it's just not something I will do again. I'll save the molds for chocolate work<G>.

Next week I have two cakes...one is a Patriotic Betty Boop birthday cake and the other is a simple birthday cake...both due by Thursday at noon. Then I have a friend visiting from AZ and we are headed out of town to see other friends and introduce her to San Francisco. So, yes, it's going to be a crazy week! LOL!

What's up with everyone else?

Cat

Pearl645 Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 2:50am
post #3 of 15

Working on a 2 tier 50th anniversary cake. Purple and gold off-set cake. Right now I'm finishing up the last set of purple sugar roses. Have cupcakes to bake and ice to go along with this order and it's late and I have no help in the kitchen.

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 3:02am
post #4 of 15

Hopefully you are at the stage where you can just set the roses on the cake and start on the cupcakes. I really try not to get too many orders in one week but sometimes it happens. Then I feel totally overwhelmed and wonder what the heck I got myself into. I always make it thru swearing I'll never do it again and I always do it again! Hopefully it will go smoother than it look like right now!

Cat

theresaf Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 3:08am
post #5 of 15

I've got a graduation cake for my niece for Sunday. So it's a 100-cupcake tower topped with a cake that looks like a graduation cap . The cupcakes will each have a rose swirl white buttercream and individual grad caps made with mini peanut butter cups and choco Graham cracker tops. I'm using red pull-n-peel licorice for mini tassels and a red-hot for the button. Then I will have to drive it 50miles. It's my biggest project yet. Done with all baking and buttercream done and in the frig.

I've got one problem if anyone can help me with. I made the mortarboard for the graduation cap with black colored gumpaste earlier in the week. It's nice and dry but faded in color a bit. Any way to bring back the color without painting it with black gel and vodka?

Sorry so long! Thanks!

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 3:13am
post #6 of 15

That Grad Tower sounds adorable! As for the black...have you tried rubbing in a bit of crisco? That might brighten the color back to a black. Good luck with your delivery! I feel for you!

Cat

theresaf Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 3:39am
post #7 of 15

Thanks for the idea Cat! I will try that in the morning. This heat wave over 99.99%of the country won't be helping anyone delivery wise.! Good luck everyone !
Theresa

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 4:17am
post #8 of 15

Fortunately not hot here this weekend. It was 92 yesterday and 80 today..supposed to be the same for tomorrow. As I mentioned, we have an outdoor event tomorrow so I'm thankful it's going to be nice. Now if I can be as lucky next Friday when I'm driving 2 cakes 150 miles for delivery!

Cat

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 5:56am
post #9 of 15

Off to bed! Hope you all have a great weekend and a very Happy 4th of July for those of you in the States! See ya'll next week!

Cat

cakecraving Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 5:57am
post #10 of 15

Hey Cat
working on my friends wedding cake. Leafs who wants leafs on a cake in June that seems more of a fall wedding. But the bride gets what the bride wants. It is turning out better than I thought.

auntginn Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 7:28am
post #11 of 15

Hello all, missed the FNCC last couple of weeks. I've been so busy, I don't know where all the work came from all of a sudden.

I am doing a show tomorrow so have been working on it since the beginning of the week. Too busy the other weeks to even think about it.

I have a lollipop that is my signature piece and that's why I was invited to participate, When they say it will be free they don't think you consider the cost to produce your own work, so it really is not free, lol.

So I will have a candy bar display but have added cookies and cupcakes to it.

Good night all. I really only get a catnap tonight.

catlharper Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 15

That sounds exhausting but I hope it will be worth all the work! My next show is in January and I'm actually considering taking a year off and not doing it. I only get a couple of bookings from there a year and so I'm barely making a profit from it. I have a very busy Fall coming up so I'm thinking I'll just take off the last week in Dec till the last week in Jan when I have a regular client that I make family cakes for each year. Sounds like heaven! LOL!

Cat

auntginn Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 15

Cat, I would do the same, sometimes I wonder whether its really worth it all. But its the marketing. Because of this lollipop I don't have any competition. Others do chocolate but I haven't seen anybody make these lollipops even with the chocolate.

I just starting doing shows again but have vowed to do only those where I see the market will be good, which means I have to do my homework before I even sign up for the show.

Its exhausting but over with now, I have no orders for 2 weeks which suit me just fine. Gives me a chance to relax, clean and regroup.

Happy Caking all.

mbranko24 Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 15

Catlharper- the cake you posted above is beautiful! Did you use a moldon the cake? If so, do you mind posting which one and where you got it?

Thanks!

Erin

catlharper Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 15

Erin,

Thank you! I did use a mold. I picked it up at my local cake store, originally for chocolate molding, but thought it would work for fondant as well. I found a tutorial on youtube (which I can't find again to share with you) that used a very similar mold to show me how to do it. It's just a very labor intensive process. Conversely I think I would like to use the thinner "lace" molds that have a solid plastic or metal base and a silicon overmat and they make 6 inch pieces of lace. You put the thin piece of fondant in the bottom piece then lay over the top piece and then use a rolling pin to roll the two pieces together. They are about $20 tho so I have to wait till I have another large cake to afford that piece of play fun<G>.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%