Sweet Sixteen Cake

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 28 Feb 2005 , 4:06pm by briansbaker

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 5

Here is my BIG problem icon_eek.gif : Hope you have a few mins. This will take some time. I am not the perfect cake baker here, but my sister and I don't have the budget to allow us to buy a cake for my nieces Sweet Sixteen coming in April. My sister and I are running low in cash, so being I know a little about baking she asked me if I could do the cake.. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
Now I am soooooooooooooo nervous. This is my nieces special day, my first thought was DON'T RUIN IT! I was first thinking to use columns for the base of the cakes I just thought that would go with the Princess theme we are doing. But then after viewing the cake here on this site with columns, I feel that the columns are way to big and don't give the cake the credit it needs. So here is my problem. What cake flavor should I do? how many layers do I make the cakes 2 or 3? should I fill them with some sort of filling or just buttercream? Am I insane for taking up the offer? icon_eek.gif
Now I am considering doing the usual fountain at the bottom and layering it up and at the top using a castle top with a cool rotating base I found. stairs coming down each side with the stairs ending on a cake. I am scared to death, so I am going simple. Just icing them smooth and giving them the shell edges with fake flowers around them. The cakes at the end of the stairs, I was thinking of using a tiara for one and a wand for the other. I am wanting to go with the theme, our center pieces for the tables are white satan pillows with silver tassles on the corners and my other sister stitched Sweet Sixteen on the corners of the pillows in pink, we then bought some cheap tiara's and wands sprayed them silver added rhinestones and some feather boa. They are just beautiful. This is going to be big for me. I don't want mess this up. I know I can do it, I just never done such a thing. This will be my first time purchasing a fountain, stairs and even a cake stand. Also I am worried about weight. Do you think it would be wise to put the fountain at the bottom of course then the first layer a cake, the second layer a piece of foam decorated, then another real cake, foam and then the castle top? I need to feed about 200 people. So I also need another explanation on using Matrix. This cake will cost me, but I know it will be worth it. This cake will make me or break me.. I need help!!! I need confidence!! I need to go hide!!! LOL Thanks in advance!!

4 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 5

Your cake sounds BEAUTIFUL! You will do just fine! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 5

make sure you take picture so we all can see. i will be doing a sweet sixteen cake, but not until december, but i would love to get some new ideas!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 5

Sounds like you need to take a few deep breaths..in...out...in...out! There, now don't you feel a little better already?

The cake sounds beautiful & you will be fine. I think putting the fountain on the bottom sounds just great, as does the rest of your description! Regarding the foam cakes...is that necessary? Since you need to feed so many people.....have you already figured out the number of slices based on the size cakes you are making? Also...just a thought...what about making a few smaller cakes to match the satin pillows...a nice way to tie it into the theme....and feed more people! As far as the base...check out Ebay..I just bought one of those Silver Platinum round stands for about half the price! Check it out, you might find a lot of the stuff you need to make this cake and save some money too! Hope this helps!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 5

LOL yes I needed that breathing therapy!! icon_lol.gif
I just found a 5 tier fountain w/ motor and light for 22.00 on ebay. I also found the stairs.. And no icon_redface.gif I have not thought about slices..I suppose that needs to be my first main concern. I thought about the foam only because of the weight issue. I just need to make a practice one. This may cost me a little more than usual, but for my first time I really need to know how this is all going to work. The satin pillow thought is a real good idea. I just found a place where they sell the luster dust, gumpaste, fillings just about everything I would need. How about the filling.. Should I go with an apricot filling and a buttercream icing? or stick with the buttercream filling with the buttercream icing? I went to a Quincenera a couple of weekends ago and she had a whipped icing with chocolate cake and whipped icing filling. I really did not like it at all, the cake was at room temperature and well I prefer my whipped icing cakes to be chilled before serving. So I really am trying to keep this as simple as I can.. I was thinking about a french vanilla cake mix or just plain vanilla.. Thank you all for your support and ideas!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%