Swiss Meringue Bc....does It Hold Colors Well?

Decorating By mamapastel Updated 27 Jul 2012 , 9:36pm by ibeeflower

mamapastel Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 7

I have only used smbc once for my brothers cake recently nd I wondered itif it did well with colors. I will be makeing a Sweet 15 cake this coming month like one I have posted in my pics. Only with icing and in purple. no fondant. If I did use fondant, like for the accents , would it be ok? Also I know its hot( it has been in the 100's lately her in Kansas!) but the cake will be inside so I hope its ok. I love the taste way better than regular icing, so I hope this will work out!

6 replies
scp1127 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:53am
post #2 of 7

I use IMBC, but i color cakes like this: I cover the cake in the natural buttercream and then refrigerate it for about 1/2 hour. I then "skim coat" the cake in the colored buttercream. This way there is less color and less chance of the buttercream coloring the guests' mouths.

mamapastel Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 7

Thats a good idea, I do that with regular bc icing sometimes. I think I will just airbrush this one though. The accents I will be doing with fondant.

vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:16am
post #4 of 7

Candy colors or oil-based colors for SMBC. You may end up with streaks if you use gel colors.

ibeeflower Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

Ha! I need to watch this thread because I have such a hard time coloring my SMBC. When I last made it I wanted a spring looking green. Because it was so yellow I had to use a lot of green and in the end it looked like ugly green vomit. My family (test dummies) loved the flavor but did laugh about the color.
I have seen some gorgeous SMBC frosted cakes and I'd love to know how they do it.

KoryAK Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 7

Ibeeflower, what type of coloring did you use? As vgcea said, is HAS to be candy/oil-based colors for a good result.

mamapastel, airbrushing won't work on SMBC. The water based color will just bead up on the high fit surface. You can do a teeny bit of shading and maybe some light pearlescence and have ti turn out ok, but not all over color. I know they make special airbrush colors for chocolate, maybe that would work.

ibeeflower Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Ibeeflower, what type of coloring did you use? As vgcea said, is HAS to be candy/oil-based colors for a good result.

mamapastel, airbrushing won't work on SMBC. The water based color will just bead up on the high fit surface. You can do a teeny bit of shading and maybe some light pearlescence and have ti turn out ok, but not all over color. I know they make special airbrush colors for chocolate, maybe that would work.

Mamapastel: I used gel. I didn't know candy or oil-based was necessary. I learned something today icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%