Please Suggest Your Best Coconut Cake Recipe

Baking By tex8798 Updated 6 May 2013 , 7:29pm by TheLoveOfSugar

tex8798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tex8798 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 12:55am
post #1 of 10

im making a coconut cake for a dear friend. Coconut is her favorite however I don't have a recipe. I want to make a real good one. Please help

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 1:04am
post #2 of 10

Do you have a recipe for white cake? Toast some coconut and throw it in. done.

tibrado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tibrado Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 2:12am
post #3 of 10

"Dinner on the grounds coconut cake"
Use a yellow cake recipe.
Coconut soaking solution:
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
1 pack (6oz) of frozen grated coconut (this is different than the dried coconut you find in the baking isle, I find mine at the freezer in my Asian market)
~In a medium saucepan, stir the milk, sugar , and coconut together. Bring to boil over medium heat. Let cool slightly.
Betty McCool's coconut icing:
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
Place all ingredients in double boiler over simmering water. Beat w/ hand beater until thickens (8 minutes); allow to cool 5 minutes before pouring on cake.
~Slice the cake into layers,
~pour soaking solution onto the cut sides of the layers
~sprinkle additional grated coconut on each layer
~pour icing in between the layers and over the top of the cake.
~Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Note, I've had problems getting the icing to solid enough state. Try more cream of tartar or making sure the room isn't too humid when making. If you want the yellow cake recipe too, let me know.
Recipe from Shirley O. Corriher

bonus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonus Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:55am
post #4 of 10

CAKE

1 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

FILLING

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

FROSTING

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

GARNISH

shredded coconut (optional)

Directions:

1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
2 Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed.
3 Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely.
4 While cake is baking, prepare filling. Stir together sugar, sour cream, milk, and coconut in a bowl until well blended.
5Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Using the wrong end of a wooden spoon, poke holes approximately 1-inch apart until entire cake has been poked. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again. (As I stack layers together I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting).
6 To prepare the frosting, place sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Frost the sides of the cake first, being careful not to get crumbs in the icing. When cake is completely covered, gently cover frosting with coconut.

You can try this recipe icon_smile.gif

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 10

I use Ina Garten's coconut cupcake recipe - it is sooo delish. Way more delish than just throwing coconut in a white cake batter icon_razz.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coconut-cupcakes-recipe/index.html

Her cream cheese icing is also amazing!!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 10

Add a half cup of coconut milk powder to any white cake recipe for 2 layers about 9". Add 1/4 cup more liquid, and add as much flaked coconut as you like (1 cup to a 7 ounce package). Add a teaspoon of good quality coconut extract.

They better like coconut...

Sweettoooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettoooth Posted 3 May 2013 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 10

I want to try all these recipes!) Here is my favourite one:

1  package white cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 (8 ounce) can coconut cream
2 t coconut extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 8” round pans.
Mix cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream, extract and cream of coconut until blended. Spread evenly into prepared pans.
Bake until done. Cool 10 minutes, turn out to finish cooling.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 3 May 2013 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

I use this one.  I love coconut cake and this recipe makes a good one!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/coconut-cake-recipe

Sweettoooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettoooth Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief 

I use this one.  I love coconut cake and this recipe makes a good one!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/coconut-cake-recipe

I've made this one few times, its veery delicious! I also like to make this chocolate coconut cake and coconut flour bread

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 6 May 2013 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 10

AI cannot wait to try out some of these recipes! Thanks everyone for sharing. My dads bday is around the corner and he loves a good coconut cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%