What Went Wrong??

Decorating By sweetpoison Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 11:18am by Evoir

sweetpoison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpoison Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

I baked my first large cake and first disaster today! followed this recipe below,

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2009/12/17/baking-the-perfect-madeira-cake/
Added some lemon zest and juice of 4 lemons and added some more flour. Then put the cake in the oven at the correct temperature. After 1 hour, the cake has burnt from the top and sides and was still as runny as wet cake mixture in the middle, after 3 hours, still not cooked! what do you think went wrong?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

I know nothing about that recipe but.....from what you state it sounds like your oven is off. If it is electric you might have one element malfunctioning icon_sad.gif
Maybe others who know that recipe will have other ideas, but I suggest you check the oven.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison

I baked my first large cake and first disaster today! followed this recipe below,

Added some lemon zest and juice of 4 lemons and added some more flour. Then put the cake in the oven at the correct temperature. After 1 hour, the cake has burnt from the top and sides and was still as runny as wet cake mixture in the middle, after 3 hours, still not cooked! what do you think went wrong?

Sorry love, what went wrong is you didn't follow a recipe - you threw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and expected to a cake to magically appear! Scratch baking isn't anything like this at all - you can't just add stuff willy nilly. I can't tell how long ago you posted this but I can bet you have already tossed your experiment in the trash.

If you want to make a lemon cake, find and use a tested recipe for a lemon cake. If you want to customize recipes then you need to learn the science of baking or at least the basics of why a recipe is a recipe icon_biggrin.gif

Better luck next time!

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:12am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison

Adding zest just changes the flavour. That can be nice. icon_smile.gif But adding as much as the juice of 4 lemons changes the recipe as dramatic as killing it. icon_wink.gif Sorry.. Adding flour is only adequate when adding all the other ingredients in the same ratio or it also changes the structure.

I started baking with just a bit of recipe-knowlegde and made so many mistakes.. icon_sad.gif You will get better with more practice or more backround reading, whatever suits you. Or posting on CC.. Sorry that it happened on your first big cake.

RoseBonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseBonbon Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:52am
post #5 of 7

dear i am sorry for your bad experience but this recipe don't include any liquid
what i usually do i use a recipe that calls for milk and replace it with another liquid: orange jus, lemon jus, strawberry jus
i think this way i have more chane to succeed
or you can search for a lemon cake reipe
good luck nevt time thumbs_up.gif

sweetpoison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpoison Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 9:53am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys :p better luck next time! will be following the exact recipe next time!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 11:18am
post #7 of 7

You also have to watch what swapping out one liquid for another (eg milk for lemon juice) can do to the cake's pH level.

Honestly, scratch baking is a science! If you enjoy experimenting, and learning the theory behind the science, then it's definitely something to pursue icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%