One Layer Sliding Off?

Decorating By mskirstein Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 7:09pm by mskirstein

mskirstein Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskirstein Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 3

I hope you lovely cake people can help me. I havent been doing this long but suddenly friends have started asking for cakes, which is good, But I have just been asked for a divorce cake and it started off as a one layer sponge, then to a 2 layer cake one fruit and one sponge and now she would like a 3 tier cake ( real wedding theme) but the top layer must look like its sliding off with the ex husband hanging on (or dead at the bottom),
But i would like some advice on how to make the top layer look like its falling off without it actually falling off. Also while im being cheeky dont even know how to charge for it because i just usually tell people its a present and foot the bill myself.
any help greatly appreciated
Michellle (UK) icon_eek.gif

2 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 3

I can only advise or lend some knowledge on the pricing part as I stay far away from anything that looks unstable on a cake icon_smile.gif Make sure you cost only by the weight and qty of ingredients you will be using and not the whole bag or container. When I started off doing cakes, I used to take down prices of ingredients I would need from groceries, come back home and plug in the quantities needed for each recipe and cost it. Then I would have a section called "extra costs" (that is just my fancy name) for overheads (electricity for using your mixer, oven, etc) gas expenses for using my car on the road getting supplies,costs for cleaning up agents (dish washing liquid), cling wrap, foil, wax paper, etc) that I always use with cakes. Don't forget to add a little extra in case there is an accident and you go over your budgeted amount. Pay yourself a decent hourly wage based on your skill level. Some UK CCers might be able to better advise you on this. Add on a decent profit that will be worth your time. I always remember under-charging in the earlies and regretting it as midnight approached.

mskirstein Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskirstein Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 3

thanks I feel a bit cheeky asking people to pay i know its daft and i was pricing everything but will probably not ask enough to cover my costs. But will have to coz in one week i have been asked for 3 different cakes to be made .. Thanks for your advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%