How Well Will This Recipe Hold In The Fridge?

Baking By littlestruedel Updated 30 Jun 2012 , 7:48am by Chiara

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding to do next weekend that involves mini cupcakes and a 6" cutting cake. I would normally do all of my baking early in the week but there was a big mixup from the company I bought the cupcake liners from, and I will now be waiting until Wednesday or Thursday to receive them. I only need one batch of the cake recipe for the cake and mini cupcakes, and I need to bake the cake earlier in the week, so I'm wondering if I can put the remaining batter in the fridge until the liners arrive. I've done this with other recipies, but none of them involved baking soda.

Here is the recipe, it is for an all natural Red Velvet cake (with some tweeks by me):

1 Cup Beet Puree (about 3 beets, roasted and pureed in the food processor)
1TBSP lemon juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, but not quite room temperature
8oz Buttermilk (I usually use 8oz milk, and add a tablespoon of vinegar, let sit 5 minutes)
2 1/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cup + 2TBSP Cake Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons natural (not dark or dutch processed) cocoa powder* I use Hersheys
Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Add ¼ tsp nutmeg
Add 1/8 tsp ginger

4 replies
littlestruedel Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 4:53am
post #2 of 5

Anybody have any insight? Thanks!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Because there is buttermilk/vinegar/lemon juice and baking soda, this batter will not hold. You must pan it as soon as it is mixed, and you can then hold the panned batter for an hour if you have to.

If you have to mix this ahead of time, then you can try the following: chill and hold in the fridge. Warm batter up to room temperature, and stir it well to loosen it. Fold in more baking POWDER mixed with a tablespoon of water. Fold in another teaspoon for the entire batch--so dose according to how much was left.

PS this recipe has a powerful amount of salt. Try using salted butter and NO additional salt. The baking soda will add saltiness.

littlestruedel Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you I will try that! And yes I agree on the salt, I always use salted butter and don't add any additional salt to the batter.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 7:48am
post #5 of 5

Wow, I am glad I read this recipe. It sounds so interesting with the roasted beets. I will have to give it a try. I hope you had some luck with the delay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%