Help! Anyone (Or Texas Bakers Maybe)?

Baking By jewels710 Updated 26 Jul 2012 , 1:49am by reginaherrin

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 3

I have a request from a Bride who lives in & was married in Texas.
She is having a reception here in Michigan this fall and is trying to "re-create" her Texas reception here as close as possible.
The MOB (I know these people) called me to do the cake.
This is what was described to me...

It was a white cake with real strawberries mashed all up inside it. Bits of berries. But the cake she said had to have food coloring in it because it was a deep pink, almost red color (But NOT red velvet). The kicker is that there is NO FILLING between the layers of this cake. Yup, 4" of cake and no filling.

I am prob just thinking about this too much but...
First, I am thinking fresh berries if not done perfectly will just make the cake soggy, no?
Second, other than taste, Filling is used to also bind layers together, no? (In my head I am thinking very moist cake = sticky enough to stack).

This cake has got to be moist enough to not need a filling, I am wondering if this sort of cake is maybe native to Texas (or the south) however, if anyone could help me out with maybe some advice, suggestions or a recipe for creating such a cake it would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to be able to tell them I could do it as they are a wonderful family!!!

Thanks a bunch!

2 replies
timeforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timeforcake Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:48am
post #2 of 3

I am from Texas and my Grammy used to serve us a cake that sounds similar. It actually had frozen berries in the batter, which meant the batter did turn pink without the use of food coloring and had berries in it as well. I'll try and catch my mom to see if she remembers the recipe, as it has been ages since we've had some!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:49am
post #3 of 3

I live in Texas as well and that is not something that is native to Texas it must just be her preference. I use blueberries in one of my recipes and it doesn't make the cake too moist as long as you don't use too many strawberries and frozen works best instead of fresh and just cut them up in small pieces. Since the strawberries are going into a white cake the color from the strawberries should color the white cake a bit pink but I would put them in last and don't mix too much just enough to change the color and spread them throughout the batter. On the no filling, I bet there was a thin layer of buttercream and she just did not know it. I don't do no filling but have had a few customers ask this and I always tell them it has to have it to stick the layers together but always tell them I can do a thin layer of buttercream. Unless you have 4" pans you will need something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%