Question Regarding Construction Of A 6In Tall Cake

Decorating By topcakes Updated 28 Jun 2012 , 4:52am by CWR41

topcakes Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:01am
post #1 of 3

Hello all,

I am making a 6in tall cake for a bridal shower. What would be the ideal size pan to use for this tall of a cake? It has to feed at least 20 people. Also, how would you go about constructing a cake this tall so that it will be easy for my client to cut and serve. It will be a lemon cake with strawberry filling. Any good tips would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

2 replies
BakingIrene Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:11am
post #2 of 3

Make white chocolate ganache for the filling/crumb coating.

Add strawberry extract or flavour and a drop of pink colour if necessary. McCoirmicks and LorAnn extracts are both really good for this and are available in small bottles.

Forgive me for saying this, it's late at might local time, but normally we quote the diameter of the cake (not the height) for customers. We normally say that a 9" cake cuts into 12-14 dessert slices and the cake can be anywhere 3-4" high depending on how it is filled.

If you need 20 servings then you would normally quote a 10" round cake. Why is the height the only number being discussed with the customer? And FYI there is no "ideal" pan. Any high school kid who passed home ec can bake a 6" cake from any size of pan, they would just bake 3 layers high.

CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 4:52am
post #3 of 3

If you put a cake board in the middle at 3" and slice 1" x 2" x 3" servings, a 6" round would yield 24 servings.

6 cu. in. servings are still good size pieces, plus they'll fit on dessert-sized plates better than trying to serve 6" tall slices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%