Wedding Cake Recipe

Baking By ccrcata Updated 29 Jun 2012 , 12:04am by ccrcata

ccrcata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccrcata Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 1:46am
post #1 of 6

I am planning for my first wedding cake and look for good, good recipes. I looked over some recipes in here and the main problem is not saying how many cups of batter results
The cake is square 3 tiers 12, 10, 8 and a sheet cake. They want one layer strawberry, one chocolate and one marble. They didnt say anything about the sheet cake. I thought I would do ½ choc, ½ white/yellow.

So, I am looking for a white cake or yellow cake that would have the measurements so I would know how to adapt it to my pans. A chocolate cake recipe as well.

Also for filling, a strawberry something icon_biggrin.gif like a strawberry mouse, a chocolate ganache or mousewhatever holds better for a layered cake. Also, something that will last unrefrigerated.
What is a good frosting to crumb coat the cakes (are fondant covered) and how do you calculate how much would I need for these three layers?

For cakes I thought of trying maybe these recipes http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-recipes.cfm just for the fact that it tells me how many cups of batter results. But the choc doesnt have great reviews

A few basic questions: for white cake, can egg whites in carton be used?
Since I have to bake 2 layers of each size and have only one pan for each size, when I make the batter that would be lets say enough for two pans, how do I store the batter until the second batch is ready to be made? It might be a silly question, but I better ask, than assume

And last one: - for the sheet cakewhat would you recommend for frosting?

Thank you!

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 1:58am
post #2 of 6

Pink filling: white chocolate ganache with strawberry extract and pink colour.

Chocolate filling: dark chocolate ganache.

Crumb coat with either ganache.

Amounts: PLEASE--every baker should know enough arithmetic to take this Wilton table
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

and use it to do your own calculations. How would you feel if somebody posted a mistake here and you ran short because you didn't check the numbers yourself? And please tell me HOW can you go to the store and buy correct amounts of ingredients if you don't do the arithmetic first?

You should try to mix only enough batter for one layer at a time. It will bake MUCH better and anyway the bigger pans will take 2-3 "box" sized recipes for each layer.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 4:40am
post #3 of 6

Hmmm all the really good most saved recipes here at some point stated the yield from the recipe. If they didn't state the different cake pan yields or batter amounts by cup, someone asked the question below and a response was given. In a case where I wanted to use a recipe that didn't have a yield (don't think any of the most saved recipes I use here don't have a yield) I would try out the recipe as is and measure it out. That will be the only way to know how many times your recipe will need to be scaled up for this wedding cake. You should do this soon and definitely before the wedding cake prep dates start or you might find yourself short of a lot of ingredients or over-stocked. Either way, ur talking about a $ issue. Just to note, even if a recipe might not state cups yield, look for things like no. of cupcakes from the batter. For eg. all my 24 standard size cupcakes recipe give me a 9" round cake x 3" H cake but try out the recipes soon icon_smile.gif You'll be glad you did.

ccrcata Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for your answers. I will do the math and try to decide on some recipes to try.

The wedding is in September, but next weekend I am planning to do some trials and have the grooms taste.

I felt overwhelmed with the amount of recipes and comments and felt that some of the recipes are more for small ocasions (if I can say that), rather than a wedding cake.

Thank you again for answering and I'll keep looking.

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 6

Even if a recipe tells me how many cups it yields, I always do a test run because I don't feel that my clients should be the guiney pigs. I want to taste the cake before I even contemplate selling it. I make up the batter, weigh the entire batch, and then weigh one cup. I keep a spreadsheet with what each of my recipies yield so that I know how many batches I need to make for each pan size. Much less waste this way, and it alleviates last minute trips to the grocery store. If you don't want to weigh the recipies, then you should at least find out how many cups each recipe yields.

ccrcata Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 12:04am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the advice. I will start the trials soon. Just have to decide what will I try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%