What Is Your Preferred Surface For Cake Decorating?

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 7:12pm by Apti

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 12:28am
post #1 of 8

So, once our basement renovation is finished I will be doing most of my cake business down there as it's cooler and there's more room and no kids! I was thinking of getting a stainless steel fold-out table but got to thinking this may not be the best surface for cake decorating. I currently have Corian in my kitchen and it's okay. Sometimes it seems gumpaste and fondant likes to stick to it, but this could just be normal. What is the best and easiest surface to work on?

7 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 2:30am
post #2 of 8

Definitely stainless steel. It's most used in commercial kitchens because of how easy it is to clean. I have arborite kitchen counter tops and food colouring stains them very quickly. I have to use chemicals to remove them. Stainless steel will save you a lot of clean-up hassle.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 3:52am
post #3 of 8

I love my Corian countertops, but I do all of my rolling & coloring on a single sheet of The Mat vinyl and I do all of my cutting (with things sharp enough to cut The Mat) on a cutting board or mat.

Rae

chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 8

a nice light corian board would be perfect. It could be on top of the stainless steel.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 8

Stainless steel.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 8

If you are having trouble rolling on Corian, then you might keep your eyes open for a HDPE or PTFE piece of sheet to be used as your rolling board. Both are approved for food contact and are compatible with bleach.

But you may also need to run a dehumidifier while you are working in the basement. Start it up a half hour before you start rolling.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 8

Another vote for SS icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 8

My kitchen has 4x4 tiles. ugh.

I turn over the Wilton 14x20 cookie sheet and use that to roll and cut my stuff. I place the raised "lip" over the edge of the counter, and put non-skid-rubberized shelf paper underneath to keep it from moving.

It's a cheap, portable method that works great for hobby cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%