Info On This Cake??

Decorating By Addictive_desserts Updated 27 Jun 2012 , 1:57pm by manddi

Addictive_desserts Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, for all those trained eyes can you please provide some info re this cake!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2961128720067402340SyGzqJ

What size cakes?
What type of boards of each tier?
How to get that silver frosting initials?

Thanks

6 replies
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 7

Cake size not important. Make cakes whatever size you need to serve all the guests.

Each cake is sitting on a silver paper board with 1/2" or 1cm edge showing all around it.

There are gaps between the tiers--probably about 1" thick piece of styrofoam covered with silver ribbon.

Silver initials are royal icing dried and painted with silver lustre dust mixed with alcohol.

manddi Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 7

Honestly, I think it's tacky that the cake board is showing between the tiers...

There looks to be 3 inches difference between the tier sizes(you can make the cake whatever size u need based on how many people it needs to serve).

You can mold letters using gumpaste, let 'em dry, then paint them using silver luster dust mixed with a few drops of a clear liqueur like vodka.

Addictive_desserts Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks For your opinions!
The cakes will be 14-10-6 but will that look balanced or too much of a difference?
I agree re the boards showing!

BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 7

I think the silver boards in this cake look OK. They add the minimal amount of silver to an otherwise white cake, and it makes a nice touch.

Addictive_desserts Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

What about black ribbon around the cakes? The cake topper is the bride and grooms initials in diamanté, what suggestions do you have?

Thanks appreciate your opinion, just finished my decorating course and doing my first tiered cake!

manddi Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 7

I tend to stick with 2" or 3" difference in the tiers. It'll probably be ok with a 4" difference. The only thing that would worry me is your cake might look short and squatty. Try setting up cake dummy's in the sizes you want so you can see what it'll look like before hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%