Silicone Molds: Question

Decorating By ecsabm Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 1:11pm by sugardoodlz

ecsabm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecsabm Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 11:53am
post #1 of 5

Hi All!!

I have a question about molds. I saw Martha Stewart Silicone Clay molds, Can I used them for cake decorating? Can I use fondant, gum paste with them? Isn't it made with the same material as the ones used for fondants?, Like Wilton's...

Thank you for your time and responses!!

4 replies
jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 11:57am
post #2 of 5

I was told yes by my Wilton instructor, but I don't know if they are food safe. I would think that they'd be ok as long as you don't use them for anything else.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 5

If you want to know about Martha Stewart moulds then you need to find them online and read the information, and then email the company if it's not clear.

Do NOT assume.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 5

Generally speaking, I would say that they are not meant to be used with food items.

That is one of the reasons that the silcone cake stuff usually costs more is because it is made with food safe materials, while the other stuff doesn't have to be.

sugardoodlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardoodlz Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 5

I would say most silicones are safe. If Martha Stewart company thought for a second that these molds would poison someone, and not be safe for food... they would put "not meant for food" "not food safe"  something to that affect on the package I would think.   If you really wanted a food safe version, just buy the mold, cast the pieces from clay, then use the food safe molding putty and make your own food safe molds. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%