Need Help With Cake Design, Ideas Running Dry!!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 2:16am by Nancy_TX

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 10

I have a client who has just graduated from a christian college to be a minister for preschool and children's ministry.
The schools main color is like a deep purple. She has already stated that she wants a tiered cake with the bible on the very bottom. This will represent her foundation. The other tiers she wants to incorporate her being a wife and mom. HELP....I went mind dead after this....she needs it in a few weeks and I need to go ahead with some prep work and don't know where to begin.
Thank you all for any help and/or ideas you could give!!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 10

That's a tough one for sure. As I was reading your post I envisioned tiers poping out from the open pages of the Bible. As for being a wife.....I'm stumped. For the kids you could use frosting sheet pix of the kids around the sides. OR if you are inclined make fondant/gp figurines of them.
Could you maybe want to make the top a mini doll skirt bride to represent the wife part? That's about all I could think up.......HIH.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 10

Hmm. That's a tricky one for sure. If it were me, id do the bottom tier rectangular and have it be a Bible, super easy to to and looks fantastic. You could even do it to look like her Bible maybe. The tiers for the mom and wife, id look up or ask her fav Bible verse regarding being a mom and wife. And put those around or on the front of the tiers tiers with maybe a pic or two. Maybe toss in a flower here and there.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 10

I too like the idea of an open bible at the base then tiers coming from the center of the bible. You could make flat fondant cutouts of children and grownups in deep purple going around the base of one of the tiers. Look on line for examples to copy (patterns) - the ideal pattern would be of the adults and children holding hands around the base of the cake (unity, family, love).

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 10

I actually made a cake like this for a Gideons meeting. It is in my gallery if you want some ideas. I used an open book for the bottom bible tier with the Gideons logo and the scripture they use. Then had other tiers coming out of the bottom. One was children around the world. I then topped it with an edible Bible the ones that the Gideon pass out. Anyways I hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.

milliemoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milliemoo Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 10

To represent her being a wife & mom, why don't you do stencil cut-outs. I would use chores for the wife such as, hanging out washing, cooking, grocery shopping etc, and for the mom sitting reading to the children, pushing them on a swing.
You could also ask her for photo's of her and her family and do edible images to put around the cake.
Hope I've helped in some way.

Helenw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helenw78 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 12:21am
post #7 of 10

i love the bible as a base. with being a wife you could ask the customer if she had a certain lace or flowers at her wedding and use those and two gold rings to represent her marriage. For her children I would ask what was her favourite memory of being a mother with each child. Then your making it very personal and memorable.
Good luck we look forward to the photos

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you everyone for responding!! I have a few ideas I have pulled from you all and I am about to contact the client with these ideas. I am hoping to have photos up by the end of July. Check back...Thanks again!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 12:51am
post #9 of 10

cakecraving~~Nice cake to use for inspiration. Lovely job.

BakerzJoy ~~I don't know if you will be utilizing the idea of "silhouettes" on your cake idea. If you do, I'd like to offer a tip obtained from the Wilton site: Instead of cutting out black fondant with an X-Acto Knife, purchase the Wilton black frosting sheets and cut your outline with scissors.

I just did this cake and rolled out black fondant/gum paste (50/50) to 1/16ths and cut the silhouettes with an X-Acto Knife. Sheesh...... took FOREVER!
(Forgive the middle tier. It was FAR too soft to be torted and filled and turned into a squat, leaning, toad....Ah well....)
LL

Nancy_TX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancy_TX Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 2:16am
post #10 of 10

What about a stack of books?

A bible
What to Expect when you're expecting
The Five Love Languages or Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%