Help. I Am A Home Baker And Need To Get A New Fridge Asap!

Lounge By karukaru Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 2:05am by Norasmom

karukaru Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!
I am a hobby baker that just started selling cakes this year. My side by side fridge died yesterday so I need to replace it. I hate the fact that I cannot freeze larger cakes because they do not fit on the side by side so I was thingking of getting a bottom freezer one. However, I have noticed that not all of the bottom freezer ones have a flat bottom and they tend to be more expensive. ALso, some people complain that it is hard to see what it is in there since everything needs to be stacked. Any recommendations?

7 replies
karukaru Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 8

bump

kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 8

I sure do understand what you mean about side-by-sides icon_sad.gif

Personally I suggest getting a smaller frig *AND* a seperate small upright fzr. In the long run I think this would be a better solution for your situation.

karukaru Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I sure do understand what you mean about side-by-sides icon_sad.gif

Personally I suggest getting a smaller frig *AND* a seperate small upright fzr. In the long run I think this would be a better solution for your situation.

I know, I wish I could but I don't have enough room and I don't have a garage =(

MimiFix Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 8

I have a bottom freezer in my fridge. The bottom is flat. It's a Samsung, no water dispenser, and was fairly cheap ($600). There are two baskets that slide out and I have no problem seeing everything. (Although I am quite short, which helps.) Lowes and Home Depot have scratch 'n dent sales so you can check that out. Good luck.

Crazyforcupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2012 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

I just had a complete kitchen remodel, and we replaced our old top freezer model with a French door, freezer on the bottom fridge, and I don't like it at all! The freezer area is not flat, and the basket that slides out on top keeps you from being able to stack anything very high on the bottom level. And you're right - you can't see what's in the freezer because you stack everything on top of each other. Luckily, I kept my old top freezer fridge, and we're keeping it in the garage. I much prefer it for my baking, cake pop making, etc. Sometimes newer isn't necessarily better!

TheCakerator Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 8

Last year we also purchased a samsung french door fridge, without ice/water in the door. I found that I love the fridge itself, as far as storing cakes that are getting ready to be picked up, but the freezer itself is another issue. It's rather small in my opinion, even though at the time we bought the largest one available (29.5 cubic feet). The bottom door does not really slide out all that far so getting things in/out can be a pain and the bottom is curved slightly.

Norasmom Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 2:05am
post #8 of 8

I have had 2 bottom freezers. One was in a Sub-zero ( our model was always giving us trouble) and had a sliding top drawer and was flat. I found it to be small and difficult to organize. The second was an Amana, same situation. I now have a Samsung French door fridge and I love it. Organizes and freezes beautifully. the drawback, it will only fit up to a 12 inch cake, which is fine for me as I don't tend to do large cakes. Good luck. When limited by space, it is difficult to choose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%