I Visited Some Cupcake Shops In London...

Baking By Osgirl Updated 15 Aug 2012 , 3:17am by ibeeflower

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

I found three cupcake shops in London (I'm visiting my husband's family in the Birmingham area and spent a few days in London).

The first one we went to-Candy Cakes-augh. Not good. They were so dry. I found out later on that their cupcakes are not made on site at any of their bakeries.

Then we went to Peggy Porschen Cupcakes. YUMMY. These were so moist and delicious. Not too sweet at all. Her shop is lovely. It's in Belgravia and it's a beautiful building. I spotted it from far away as it's pink. Lovely shop inside. She has a cake school right near there and she gives day classes. I checked into a cupcake decorating class. 7 hours for £275! I'm planning to buy her book before I go back home in a few weeks.

Next I visited Hummingbird Bakery who claims to have "American style cupcakes". They were delicious. The black bottom and red velvet were wonderful. They were a close second to Peggy Porschen. Overall, I liked the Peggy Porschen shop better.

All in all, it was fun to visit some London cupcake shops!

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 2:32am
post #2 of 5

It sounds as if you had a good time. Thanks for telling us about the three cupcake shops. I love visiting bakeries, too!

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:06am
post #3 of 5

Wow I'm really surprised to hear you found Peggy Porschen's cupcakes to taste moist and delicious. Then again, I went to her store in 2010 on my trip to London so I'm assuming things got back in order. Peggy's cake store is out of this world beautiful. I've never seen anything as magical and whimsical. I remember they had a rule against taking photos inside the shop so we took outside. I had her chocolate cupcake and two other flavours which I can't remember. They were sadly on the dry side and flavourless. We even had some of that popular "fair-trade" tea like the Brits do inside. Did you see her fondant and royal iced cookies how perfect they were? Her store gave me so much inspiration for a store-front design that I even wrote her about how impressed I was with her layout and colours and decor. I didn't know how to get to Hummingbird as I was staying in London itself. I did try some really great mini cupcakes in Camden. It was so cold and windy in Camden that the icing on the cupcakes were rock hard! I'm in the Caribbean so I was like...im jealous! Firm cream cheese icing! I got inspired by lemon cupcakes I tried in London that I added it to my portfolio of flavours. Also had a 6-count box of cupcakes from Buttercup in Westfield Mall in London. 2.50 pound for one. Was really good. I believe they have other outlets around. Cupcakes were now starting to emerge in London back in 2010 when i went.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, they were moist. I think, in the end, that I liked Hummigbird's cupcakes better. Their black bottom is delicious (and the recipe is online). I'm going to make their strawberry cheesecake cupcake this week.

I agree-Peggy Porschen's store was beautiful! Whimsy, quaint, and beautiful location. I could've sat in there all day!

I'm going to Torquay this week so I'm going to see if there are any cupcake shops down there. Although it seems that most are concentrated in the London area.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 3:17am
post #5 of 5

Oooh I'd love to visit Peggy Porschen's shop. I really want her new book but it's not available in the US yet so I may order it online. I am so jealous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%