To You Experts Out There, How Do I Fit The Two Pieces..

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 26 Jun 2012 , 4:58pm by stephdover4

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

Is there an easy way to fit the white fondant and the blue fondant together on this cake? I love the look but I'm fairly new to this and have never used this technique on a cake before.

You are wonderful folks on here that share your knowledge! Thank you in advance for your help!
LL

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 6

Some people don't try to fit them together--they just lay the two layers, and then cut the wavy edge in place.

I would first cover the whole tier with the white. Then the blue goes on as a thin second layer. After you cut the line through just the blue layer, peel off the excess blue fondant.

The silver overpiping hides any gaps.

stephdover4 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 6

That is what I was going to do. I hoped that if I made the blue fondant piece thin it would be difficult to tell. Thanks for responding!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 6

One other thing you could do is to wrap the white layer around the cake sides. Then drape the blue layer over the top, like normal, then cut your pattern with an Xacto knife, through both layers, then slide the white part out from under the blue. I did this with a a similar design. Freeze the cake first so it doesn't get messed up when you take the excess off. Alternately, you can just leave the white there.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 6

Or just roll out a piece of white fondant, cut the wavy shape out, and lay it on top. smooth it down, and then use an extruded rope to hide the seams.

stephdover4 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! I think I'll go the easy way for now and leave the white under the blue and just roll it out thin. thumbs_up.gif

And thanks Annabakescakes for the freezing tip. I hadn't thought about that!

Happy Fourth of July to you all!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%