Mommy Meltdown!

Lounge By dandymom Updated 26 Jun 2012 , 3:30am by BakingIrene

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 12:52am
post #1 of 8

It's been a long weekend. Hubby was gone for 3 days serving his weekend duty for the Air National Guard and I manned the hut with our 4 beautiful kids. My boys are 8 and 10 and my girls are 6 months and 2 years old. My baby is still nursing around the clock and is teething. My 2 year old has been sick all weekend with some sort of tummy bug and by that I mean the nasty kind that requires frequent baths, extra towels, and doubled up diapers with plastic pants over them. It. Has. Not. Been. Fun.
I really try to stay positive but right now I just want to hide in my closet with a bottle of wine! Better yet, I'd love to de-stress in my kitchen and bake something amazing. I totally need to disinfect my house first, though, and I'm exhausted and sleep deprived.
After a weekend like this, it makes me wonder how those of you moms out there who are running bakeries manage with having little ones! I can't imagine having to make a wedding cake while dealing with sick kids.
Hats off to those of you who are making it work!
D.

7 replies
mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 4:35am
post #2 of 8

You know what?? Hats off to YOU momma! 4 kids and a sick one at that with no help for the weekend? I say grab a tub of frosting (no spoon needed) and that bottle of wine (no glass needed) and enjoy yourself. Heehee! I'm a momma to 4 also. 6, 4,3 and 3 months and the hard working hubby has to be gone all week for work so it's just me and my babes! So much love sent your way and I hope the little one feels better!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 7:28am
post #3 of 8

I'm a mother of 4, too! My twin boys are going to be 12 this summer, my drama queen is 8 and I have a complete turd of a 3 year old boy. I have a commercial kitchen in my former garage and the little is home with me All. The. Time. I usually do all my work overnight and throw the kids on the bus with only a couple hours sleep and then crash for another couple hours until he gets up. He has speech difficulties and I thought to get him in preschool early so he can get some therapy, but now I am thinking I'll keep him home one more year since I plan on having him be my last. That way I can "enjoy" him longer icon_wink.gif and we work with him and he's getting better. Besides, it is too cute to hear his names for people and things with his little marble mouth. We know he'll improve.

But now that it is summer, by older kids are really helping out so much! It is nice to do a cake in the daylight! Blessedly, our family very rarely gets sick, but if you ask my DH, he has chronic illness and bone disease, or something.... I swear, I have never met a bigger wuss! He is healthy, fit and so fine, and he acts... Anyway, I get my cakes done, and it seems like there is never time or energy to clean up! I have a sink full of pans and icing bags right now, but it'll keep until tomorrow.

I think any woman who does cakes regularly from home, runs a house and has kids with clean underwear is a hero! I finally had to do a load of laundry because half the household was going commando! And we had take out 3 times last week, and the grass is over run with clover, my roots are showing, I need a trim and my legs look like a Sasquatch's... Ahh! This is the life!

dandymom Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcl

You know what?? Hats off to YOU momma! 4 kids and a sick one at that with no help for the weekend? I say grab a tub of frosting (no spoon needed) and that bottle of wine (no glass needed) and enjoy yourself. Heehee! I'm a momma to 4 also. 6, 4,3 and 3 months and the hard working hubby has to be gone all week for work so it's just me and my babes! So much love sent your way and I hope the little one feels better!

Holy smokes you are a busy mama! Those are all busy busy busy ages! Back when my boys were small, my hubby would deploy to the MidEast and it was a handful with just the 2 boys. Now that we have 4, I cannot fathom going through that again. We do it once a month for a weekend and sometimes he has to go out of town on business. It makes for long days! So Hats off to you too, I know first hand that week alone with all of your kids is no cake-walk!

Sounds like we need to have frosting tub/spoon party!
<3 <3 <3
Dandymom

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 8

What you mommies need to stash in the freezer for times like these is a tub of superganache made with half cream and half rum. Works faster than anything else I have ever found...

dandymom Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:02am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I'm a mother of 4, too! My twin boys are going to be 12 this summer, my drama queen is 8 and I have a complete turd of a 3 year old boy. I have a commercial kitchen in my former garage and the little is home with me All. The. Time. I usually do all my work overnight and throw the kids on the bus with only a couple hours sleep and then crash for another couple hours until he gets up. He has speech difficulties and I thought to get him in preschool early so he can get some therapy, but now I am thinking I'll keep him home one more year since I plan on having him be my last. That way I can "enjoy" him longer icon_wink.gif and we work with him and he's getting better. Besides, it is too cute to hear his names for people and things with his little marble mouth. We know he'll improve.

But now that it is summer, by older kids are really helping out so much! It is nice to do a cake in the daylight! Blessedly, our family very rarely gets sick, but if you ask my DH, he has chronic illness and bone disease, or something.... I swear, I have never met a bigger wuss! He is healthy, fit and so fine, and he acts... Anyway, I get my cakes done, and it seems like there is never time or energy to clean up! I have a sink full of pans and icing bags right now, but it'll keep until tomorrow.

I think any woman who does cakes regularly from home, runs a house and has kids with clean underwear is a hero! I finally had to do a load of laundry because half the household was going commando! And we had take out 3 times last week, and the grass is over run with clover, my roots are showing, I need a trim and my legs look like a Sasquatch's... Ahh! This is the life!

My 1st child has high functioning autism, and my 2nd had speech delay. It was thought that they were so close in age that boy 2 had picked up on some of boy #1's autistic mannerisms. For a while there, we were wondering if they were both autistic. Thankfully, that was not the case! We had them both in early intervention before they were 3. They both started preschool at 3. I can't tell you enough how important it is to get your little man started as soon you can. The earlier, the better. I really believe that extra help was paramount in helping my boys speak, and for my 1st to overcome his many obstacles. He is doing so well. He is mainstream in school and just finished reading his 5th H.P. book. Boy 2 still struggles with his speech but has come a long way. I'm so proud of them both!

I hope to someday have a licensed kitchen. I've had a strong passion for baking for many years and in my heart I always wanted to make something of it but never really had the confidence or saw it as a viable option. I'm finally at that point in my life that I want to make it a reality and with each recipe that I perfect, I feel myself getting closer. I have a long ways to go, though! I really have to get that cake decorating part down. I'm a baker before a decorator, though I enjoy both.
Right now, it's a battle for kitchen time at my house. My girls are keeping me so busy, and with school being out, my boys are too. They are big helpers but they have their needs too.
There are days where I just want to throw in the towel and load all the laundry into the van and hit the laundromat! I try to keep on it but I somehow find myself buried in it! It would be so nice to just get it all done at once but I can't bring myself to spend the extra money. Also, my roots are a nightmare too! I'm turning 35 in a few weeks and boy are the grey hairs sprouting up all over! Oh, and my legs are lucky to get shaved at least once a week.
Sounds like we have a few things in common icon_smile.gif

d.

dandymom Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:07am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

What you mommies need to stash in the freezer for times like these is a tub of superganache made with half cream and half rum. Works faster than anything else I have ever found...

Lord have mercy, one day I'm going to be found in the back of my closet drunk off ganache! That sounds soooo amazing!

P.S.
I'm not sure if you answer PMs, but I've sent you a few icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:30am
post #8 of 8

I set up my account without PM's. Sorry, it just was the right thing to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%