Oven Is Level But Cakes Come Out Slanted

Decorating By lstalder Updated 25 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm by Annabakescakes

lstalder Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 1:14am
post #1 of 15

I constantly have cakes that bake uneven-causing lots of wasted cake that I have to trim off and then there's limited height. Both my oven and the rack are level according to my leveler. Sometimes I putz with putting wedges under some of the pan's sides but it's a pain and it never does the trick totally.

any ideas? Is it my pans? Are there certain pans that don't become warped?

14 replies
raqgen Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 1:50am
post #2 of 15

I've had the same problem lately. I cant figure what exactly is causing that issue. What I have been doing that helps is, I make sure my batter is evenly spread throughout the baking pan by shaking the pan back and forth. I also bang the pan lightly against the or counter top just to ensure some kind of even spread. That has helped a bit. I usually have the problem with my one of my 10 " pan. Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

sleaky77 Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 2:10am
post #3 of 15

Is your oven fan forced? There may be hot spots. Is it always the same side? Maybe you could try turning your cake about half way through. This might help.

lkern777 Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 15

I have this problem too, but mine is that my racks are warped a little. I filled my pans with water and set them in the oven while it was cool to determine where I needed to add some height. It differs with the number of pans I put in and the size. I then folded parchment paper to the height I need and prop up the pans until they are level. You can reuse the parchment paper over and over. It didn't fix the problem completely, but it helps and I have much less waste now.

CraftyCassie Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkern777

I have this problem too, but mine is that my racks are warped a little. I filled my pans with water and set them in the oven while it was cool to determine where I needed to add some height. It differs with the number of pans I put in and the size. I then folded parchment paper to the height I need and prop up the pans until they are level. You can reuse the parchment paper over and over. It didn't fix the problem completely, but it helps and I have much less waste now.

Cool idea! Sounds much easier than trying to get oven level.

Pearl645 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 12:36am
post #6 of 15

Yes I too have this miserable problem and have a massive bag of cake tops levelled off in my freezer. I realize it has to be due to hot spots in my oven. My batter is evenly spread. Can't wait to get a gas oven. When I bake cakes for my cake decorating teacher who has a gas oven, we never have this problem of a slanted baked cake. This electric oven has seen its time.

lstalder Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 1:37am
post #7 of 15

thanks for the posts. I've wondered about whether my oven has hot spots or not even though it's gas. What I don't understand is how things get unleveled. I've put a level on the top edges of the pan when it's sitting on my counter and it's level. I've put the level on the oven rack in different places and it's level. But, for some reason, once I put a filled pan into the oven on the rack and then set the level on the edges, it's usually unlevel on at least one side. How can that be?

I'm still wondering about whether my pans become warped-perhaps once it's heated. Can this be?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Formynana Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 1:56am
post #8 of 15

I have found that 1/2 thru the baking I have to switch sides of the oven with each of the cakes and make sure there is enough spacing in between them. Otherwise they dont cook evenly. icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 1:56am
post #9 of 15

wow! that is so weird that you posted this because i juuust had this happen this weekend. ANd it happened with my 10" pan! icon_surprised.gif

the one thing I was thinking was...I might have had my one side too close to the inside/side of the oven, not much space in between the pan and the oven side. was this the case for you? I did have some slanting with my other cakes but not as much.

I also wondered about my pans being warped. hmmmm, what a mystery!

lkern777 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyCassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkern777

Cool idea! Sounds much easier than trying to get oven level.

I actually did level my oven, but I still had uneven cakes. That's when I tested my racks. They are just not very sturdy and have warped in the middle. They lean toward the middle and a little to the front. I am able to stack the parchment paper under the right front corner of my pans and it seems to do the trick for the most part. The bigger the pan, the worse the problem since I guess they weigh a lot more with the amount of batter that goes in them.

Pearl645 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 15

I guess this is why a lot of bakers turn their baking trays, cake pans and cupcake pans around halfway during baking to get an even bake. I must give it a try. I must admit I avoided doing that to prevent escape of oven heat.

BakingIrene Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 15

Two things: the racks need to be level from front to back as well as side to side.

My oven bakes hotter at the back so I have to run my cakes. What happens is that the uncooked batter actually flows to one side. I turn the cakes after every 15 minutes of baking.

The Magic cake strips eliminate the humps--yes this is a different issue than leveling. But they also even out the temperature of the cooking batter so they may help with the front-to-back thing.

step0nmi Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

I guess this is why a lot of bakers turn their baking trays, cake pans and cupcake pans around halfway during baking to get an even bake. I must give it a try. I must admit I avoided doing that to prevent escape of oven heat.

the main thing to think of when doing this is to wait at least 20 mins before turning your cakes pans...do NOT do this with cupcake pans as you will loose your heat and could cause them to fall. just wanted to make sure you knew this icon_wink.gif

Pearl645 Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 7:27pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Irene and Step for this info. Step I'm glad you said that about cupcakes because I probably would have opened my oven to move around the trays. Now I know. Irene, your advice is valuable. I must do this with all my cakes. Also the cloth strips.

Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 15

I have this problem too. I turn my pans, even my cupcake pans. It's a bit more work, but it is worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%