Flag Shape?

Decorating By Kimzie Updated 26 Jun 2012 , 9:24pm by Apti

Kimzie Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 12:01am
post #1 of 4

Hi there everyone!! hope all is well! I need some help with a cake. I'm making a Canada Day cake , that's upcoming, but I wanted to make it the shape of the flag, however I don't own the "flag pan" Is there a way or shall I say a fool proof way to achieve the look of a waving flag? I know by carving, but I don't want to go ahead and carve and have it "uneven" so to speak. the cake pan is 9"x13" I intend to use.

3 replies
Apti Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 1:19am
post #2 of 4

Here's what I made using 2 layer cakes baked in a 9x13x2" pan. I used a Wilton flat, 14x20" cookie sheet as my "cake lifter" to get the second layer on after I applied the dam and the filling. Then I just carved out the waving part.

I made a paper template of the shape I wanted first, then laid it on the stacked/filled tier and used the template as my guide.

The flagpole is a plastic dowel from Wilton covered with fondant. I cut out a "notch" (about 1/2" x 1/2") before I covered the cake with fondant. I used toothpicks stuck in underneath the flagpole at an angle to support the weight of the flagpole. Then I used buttercream to cover the toothpicks. Then I used silver highlighter dust diluted with vodka to paint the flagpole.

Two layer carved sheet cake. White Almond Sour Cream with raspberry filling. Fondant icing and decorations.

Kimzie Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for every detail and step you provided me. It will most certainly help icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 4

You're very welcome! If you need more info, just send me a PM or comment on this thread.

Quote by @%username% on %date%