cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 11:32pm
post #1 of

I'm making a wedding cake for a friend & am having a tough time picturing how to do this cake!

She wants a 4 tier round cake with:
*Calla lilies (w pink insides)
*Silver gelatin bubbles
*Black pearls

I haven't seen the cake topper...but I think she said it was going to be a motorcycle. I'm not sure, though.

This is the best cake I've seen with gelatin bubbles that doesn't look tacky....I'm not sure how Silver bubbles would look though.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1895732/champagne-bubbles-wedding-cake[/b]

19 replies
dandymom Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 12:02am
post #2 of

What is the actual cake color going to be? White? Pink?

dandymom Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 12:18am
post #3 of

I keep trying to picture those elements together in my head. I can see it pulling together if done right. I would definately do tall tiers, and then have an accent bouquet with the black pearls, the lilies, and the silver bubbles (in small and medium sizes) on each level, and then do black pearl borders around each tier. I wouldn't over do it though. Sometimes less is more.
How pink is pink? I found these, a cranberrish color. Pretty.

http://numily.com/sugar-flower-calla-lily-in-cranberry/

HTH

D.

dandymom Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 12:38am
post #4 of

Lol now I can't stop thinking about it!

Here is a neat cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/54514/round-wedding-cakes

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

I keep trying to picture those elements together in my head. I can see it pulling together if done right. I would definately do tall tiers, and then have an accent bouquet with the black pearls, the lilies, and the silver bubbles (in small and medium sizes) on each level, and then do black pearl borders around each tier. I wouldn't over do it though. Sometimes less is more.
How pink is pink? I found these, a cranberrish color. Pretty.

http://numily.com/sugar-flower-calla-lily-in-cranberry/

HTH

D.




Thanks for replying icon_smile.gif

The cake will be white & she "doesn't really like pink" ...lol, so she doesn't want the flowers to be TOO pink.
I'm thinking something like the lighter pink lilies here: http://blossomweddings.blogspot.com/
With black,pink, and silver...I'm trying to keep it from looking like a Sweet Sixteen cake, you know what I mean?

yums Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 7:46pm
post #6 of

Just my opinion but I think she needs to pick either the bubbles or the lilies. That is way too much for one cake. I could def see the black bead border and one or the other. Not sure about a motorcycle on top tho.

kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 8:46pm
post #7 of

I think I can see 3 lilies on top around the motorcycle icon_smile.gif
They can be smallish and just bearly brushed w/some very light pink petal dust (mix it w/cornstarch to lighten).

dandymom Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 8:49pm
post #8 of

Okay, when I think about the elements that are to go into this cake the lyrics from Grease 2 start playing in my head..."Cooool Rider..."

I agree that that is a lot to put on a cake, which is why I suggested maybe doing a few accent bouquets (not sure if that is the right cake terminology for this, I hope you know what I mean though) on each tier, small ones though. I can't imagine huge gelatin bubbles either.

Have you sat down with her and done a sketch of the cake? If she sees it on paper, maybe she will not like those elements together. But then, maybe she will. What's pretty to me or to you can be totally different to someone else.

I'm interested and excited to see what you come up with!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 11:20pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by yums

Just my opinion but I think she needs to pick either the bubbles or the lilies. That is way too much for one cake. I could def see the black bead border and one or the other. Not sure about a motorcycle on top tho.




You should have seen all the other things that she wanted...I had to talk her out of those :/
This is the 'simplified' design...lol

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 11:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I think I can see 3 lilies on top around the motorcycle icon_smile.gif
They can be smallish and just bearly brushed w/some very light pink petal dust (mix it w/cornstarch to lighten).




That's a good idea. I'm waiting for her to send me a pic of the topper so I can see exactly what it looks like.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 11:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandymom

Okay, when I think about the elements that are to go into this cake the lyrics from Grease 2 start playing in my head..."Cooool Rider..."

I agree that that is a lot to put on a cake, which is why I suggested maybe doing a few accent bouquets (not sure if that is the right cake terminology for this, I hope you know what I mean though) on each tier, small ones though. I can't imagine huge gelatin bubbles either.

Have you sat down with her and done a sketch of the cake? If she sees it on paper, maybe she will not like those elements together. But then, maybe she will. What's pretty to me or to you can be totally different to someone else.

I'm interested and excited to see what you come up with!




lol!
No, I haven't done a sketch yet. I was looking around flickr to get some inspiration & this is the closest I could get to the elements she is asking for: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flourgirl2007/1593051088/in/faves-36656480@N04/
I like the top tier & separator column....but she doesn't want anything on top(since she's using a topper)

I like the pearl borders on this(and this is what you mean by the bouquets on the tiers, correct?): http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupidcupcakery/6158354383/in/faves-36656480@N04/

I was thinking it would be pretty if it were a mixture of flowers for the bouquet...like roses & callas, or orchids & callas....but she didnt like that idea. lol

dandymom Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 12:28am

Yes, I was thinking it would look better with a mix of flowers, I think it's prettier that way. That is along the lines of what I meant by bouquets, those in the picture look weird to me though.

tokazodo Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 12:46am

Call me crazy (many people do, including my family!)

But when I heard all the elements, I started seeing black, as in a base color. As in , a 4 tiered cake covered in black fondant.
The silver will accent the black and the pink will 'pop' or compliment it.
Black and Silver should pull in a motor cycle also.
If she wants a motor cycle as a cake topper, that is telling me she is not a traditional bride and might go for the black wedding cake.

Good Luck!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 5:39am

She sent me a photo of the topper...it's not as bad as I pictured in my mind. lol

Also, She says they are now using an assortment of lilies, instead of just Calla lilies. I'm trying not to keep bugging about details(because she already seems flustered about everything)...but it's kind of driving me crazy that she can't seem to make up her mind. I think she really doesn't know what she wants.

BTW, they are already married...have been married for about 5 yrs. This is the wedding that they never got to have.

I'm also making 3 dozen cupcakes & 3 dozen chocolate dipped strawberries. How should I arrange them? On the same table as the cake? (like a dessert table) or separately?
LL

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 5:42am
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Call me crazy (many people do, including my family!)

But when I heard all the elements, I started seeing black, as in a base color. As in , a 4 tiered cake covered in black fondant.
The silver will accent the black and the pink will 'pop' or compliment it.
Black and Silver should pull in a motor cycle also.
If she wants a motor cycle as a cake topper, that is telling me she is not a traditional bride and might go for the black wedding cake.

Good Luck!




Thanks!

mckaren Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:18am

White cake, simple black pearl border around base of each tier.

Small flower arrangements on each tier - alternating sides. Flower arrangements to have lilies and bubbles and a string of black pearls. Place a couple of bubbles in amongst the flowers and more grouped at the sides of the flower sprays - keep it tight together. Have a string of black pearls coming from underneath te flowers or bubbles with a small drape over the lower tier.

Does that make sense? I'm writing this on my phone so I haven't looked for pics but I can if you want.

I want to make this cake now lol

mckaren Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:57am

Try these for inspiration.


http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/thesweetestthingcakes/6151461110/



http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/thesweetestthingcakes/6151461110/

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 8:40pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaren

White cake, simple black pearl border around base of each tier.

Small flower arrangements on each tier - alternating sides. Flower arrangements to have lilies and bubbles and a string of black pearls. Place a couple of bubbles in amongst the flowers and more grouped at the sides of the flower sprays - keep it tight together. Have a string of black pearls coming from underneath te flowers or bubbles with a small drape over the lower tier.

Does that make sense? I'm writing this on my phone so I haven't looked for pics but I can if you want.

I want to make this cake now lol




Thank you!
I like the idea of the strings of pearls & bubbles grouped with the floral arrangements....I wonder if there a such thing as edible string pearls?

mckaren Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 9:31pm

You can get several moulds which make a string of pearls with fondant or gumpaste.

AKS Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 5:34am

I think white cake with small, tasteful piped black bead border and a cascade of the bubbles with a few mini callas placed within the cascade. Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%