Painting Without Mixing Alcohol..

Decorating By ChocolateLove Updated 23 Jun 2012 , 6:51pm by ChocolateLove

ChocolateLove Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 2:13am
post #1 of 6

I love the way the painted pearl dust colors look on cakes! However, I am looking to paint without mixing alcohol. I have heard that high concentrated lemon extract can be used...but that's kind of expensive. Does anyone have any ideas? tips?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
BakingIrene Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 3:00am
post #2 of 6

Well lemon extract is 35% alcohol. It's available in bulk (16 ounce bottles and up) from bakery supply stores and online.

Is there a religious reason?

The alcohol is used because it's certified edible and it dries fast. There are several materials that dry fast but they are POISON so you are stuck with alcohol.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 3:30am
post #3 of 6

To paint, if you want/need it to dry, you use something edible with alcohol in it: Everclear, gin, vodka, white rum OR good quality lemon extract (mine is 86% alcohol).

In the end, the alcohol evaporates--it's just the "carrying" medium. The evaporation is actually the drying process in action.

If you don't need it to dry, you can mix powdered colors with a bit of canola oil and you get a lovely translucent painting. You can also use melted cocoa butter with powdered colors or with oil based candy colors, but you need to work quickly because it will glob up on the brush.

ChocolateLove Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6

Baking Irene: I know that lemon extracts have alcohol... bummer :/
I am still experimenting.. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes: Canola oil sounds interesting, I will be trying that as well. I have diluted my gel colors with plain water, and painted them on gumpaste. It does take an overnight to dry. but it dries eventually!

BakingIrene Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

OK so try piping gel which will dry faster than water.

ChocolateLove Posted 23 Jun 2012 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 6

I shall! icon_smile.gif thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%