Fondant Flowers Done In Advance - High Altitude

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 10:23pm by Elcee

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 3:16am
post #1 of 4

So I've recently moved to extremely high altitude region- from sea level. And this dry high mountain air is all new to me. I have not done a trial run yet on fondant sunflowers I'm doing for my nephew's wedding cupcakes for mid July
. But before I do I thought I'd get some feedback from fellow mountain/dry air dwellers and get your feedback and tips and experience.
I'm thinking 2 weeks in advance stored in air tight tote- is that too much? Is there anything to do to keep them from cracking? Will they crack that much in advance? I know it's dry up here because my skin is really really dry up here lol so I know fondant will dry out more quickly also.
Any shared experience is much appreciated.
Elevation up here is around 6,000 feet (approx. 2,000 meters).
The elevation where the wedding reception is at, is approx 2800 feet (850 meters) and I will be storing them here at home up until the wedding.

Thanks!
Happy baking!
Karen

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 4:33am
post #2 of 4

If you want the flowers dry at all, don't store them in an airtight container. They will soften and lose their shape very quickly. All you need to do is cover them to keep the dust off. Once they're dry, they shouldn't crack any worse than normal - if at all - due to the altitude. And always make extra to allow for breakage.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to altitude! It is very dry here at 6500 ft., particularly now with no rain for some time. You need to do some adjustments in your baking such as increase moisture and oven temperature, etc. Things bake quicker also. I do have to work quickly and/or add moisture to the fondant and keep it covered if I'm having a "slow" day. I really don't have too much trouble with it although the store bought seems to dry out faster than homemade MMF. I don't put fondant decorations in a covered container.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, I'm at just over 6000 feet above sea level here. The altitude shouldn't affect your flowers at all except, as has already been mentioned, your fondant or gumpaste will dry quicker. That can be a good thing or a bad thing icon_smile.gif. They definitely won't crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%