First Cake...help!

Decorating By V_Dizzle Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 3:49pm by V_Dizzle

V_Dizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
V_Dizzle Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 4

okay, so normally I just make cupcakes for friends/family. No fancy decorations just toppers or sprinkles and pipped icing. Now, a friend of mine just had a baby and I wanted to get her a baby block cake for when she brought the baby home this weekend. BUT the girl that I get my cakes from is booked this weekend. Would it be too hard to do one myself?

I just wanted ONE big block. With BABY around the 4 sides and on the top I wanted a H and it say Welcome Home Harrison.

ideas, tips, tricks. No fondant.

I want it to be italian cream cake, I already have the recipe and make a good cream cheese frosting.

3 replies
amsegu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amsegu Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 4

I think you can do it. If you make a very dense cake such as a pound cake (if you are using a boxed mix, it probably won't be dense enough to stack 4 layers of cake) then all you would have to do is make two batches (enough to fill an 8" square pan 4 times). Each layer should be aprox. 2" hight after it has been torted (leveled) which means 4 of them stacked would give you a height and width of 8"x8", give or take, since you will be layering icing between each layer (once you have stacked three of the layers, mesure what height you are at and make the adjustment to the final tier) Once your cake is stacked, cover it in white icing as smooth as you can (there are tons of videos on the net that can help you get it as smooth as possible). Then do seperate buttercream transfers of the letters and borders. Since the butter cream transfers will be raised it will look more like an acctual baby block. If you don't know what a buttercream transfer is or how to do one, you can also look that up on the web as well. Hope this helps!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 4

I think an 8" cube cake sounds like a good plan. But when you go and buy your cake supplies, pick up an extra 8" square cake board, and some milkshake straws.

After you have stacked the first two 2" layers on your presentation board or plate, insert a straw into the layers and mark where it sits flush with the top of the layers. Take it out and cut it to the right height, along with 3 more straws. Insert all 4 straws into the cake in a square shape but not too close to the edges. Put some buttercream on top of the layers with the straws in and place your 8" square board on top. Smear more buttercream on the board and add the next two layers on top of the now supported board. Now your cake will still be a cube when you bring it to your friend, much less risk of it collapsing.

Not to mention that if you cut slices of cake that are 8" tall, you will have to eat from dinner plates icon_wink.gif 4" tall slices are much easier to handle. Good luck!

V_Dizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
V_Dizzle Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for help guys! I think I'm going to do a smaller cake than the 8inch/4 layer. It's just the two of them and frankly I don't have a lot of time to work on the cake. IF I get around to actually doing this this weekend i will post a pic! I appreciat the help, especially the buttercream transfer, had never heard of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%