Buy Or Make Butter Cream Icing?

Decorating By thebittersweetbakehouse Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 8:15am by scp1127

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 7

So day by day im finding i can think of more and more questions i just have to ask on here!

Ive always made my own butter cream icing to fill and crumb coat my cakes before icing...just a simple recipe, but ive notice some threads were people buy theirs in.

I brought a can of ready made before when i was short of time and it was excessively sweet and synthetic tasting (supermarket brand so wasn't holding out the highest of hopes), but with packs and packs of butter making my own can get expensive.

Are there any recommendations for buying butter cream icing? Any home made icing recipes anyone would like to share? A preference for homemade or shop brought?

Any views would be greatly appreciated

6 replies
myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

I completely prefer home made because, like you say, shop-bought buttercream is so sickly sweet and fake tasting. Over the weekend I was in a hurry and didn't have enough butter in my fridge, but I had a tub of vanilla frosting (Betty Crocker, I think) in the cupboard so I whipped it up in my stand mixer until it was lighter, then used a smaller amount of my regular recipe. I say regular recipe, I normally just throw in a pack of butter and a pack of margerine (in the UK our packs are normally 250g), then keep adding PS until it tastes about right. I make it thicker, and add a little double cream rather than milk/water as it gives a much tastier finish icon_smile.gif In this case I just used about half what I normally do as I already had the shop bought stuff in there, and once you whip it up you get more out of the tub icon_biggrin.gif I've also noticed if you whip the cream first then fold it into the buttercream it makes it even creamier - I don't like my buttercream to have any discernible taste. I mean, obviously I like it to TASTE, but I don't like to be able to taste the butter over the sugar, or vice versa. It doesn't crust over as quickly but it still holds up really well and WILL crust, just not as fast as regular, cream-less Crisco buttercream icon_smile.gif

Sorry I can't give you a more specific recipe, I just go by taste every time until I'm happy with it.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 7

Definitely homemade. I use the wilton BC recipe for 3 yrs now and I like it. 1/2 cup butter (I actually use margarine for 2 reasons- it's more affordable and I can't risk a BC with butter bcuz it is 92 degrees F here) This is my version. Only changed butter to margarine in the Wilton recipe 1/2 cup margaine 1/2 cup shortening 4 c PS 2 tbsp whole fat milk 1 tbsp essence. I bought a Betty Crocker chocolate and cream cheese frosting in the can and it was horrible. Artificial and weird tasting. Never bought again. Just like you, I bought it for a rush order. In fact it is more expensive to buy that can than to make your own because your homemade BC should give more yield.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 7

For chocolate (since I don't actually eat the stuff myself), I use Duncan Hines canned, and I've gotten good feedback on it.

For anything else, I make my own, and it's always a variation on the cold-process buttercream recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before I was born.

For strawberry, I reduce the butter, add seedless strawberry jam, strawberry extract, and red food coloring, and use the minimum amount of milk to get a workable consistency. It comes out rather stickier (and a lot more cohesive) than regular BC, but it works.

For maple (good on a spice cake), I replace most of the milk with Vermont Grade B maple syrup (the most robust-flavored of the common grades). I don't use artificial maple flavor, and I don't use imitation maple syrup for anything.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 1:56am
post #5 of 7

CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM RECIPES:

BUNNYWOMAN'S CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM: (a lovely lady on Wilton.com)
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=132579&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

BUNNYWOMAN'S CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=135438

BUNNYWOMAN'S MOCK SHACK:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=135663&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):
(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)
Single Batch Recipe:
1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar
IndyDebi says: There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.
NOTE: Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

My cousin RICKI'S CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM that she's used for 30 years in hot, humid Kansas:
Ricki's Crusting Buttercream (high-heat, high-humidity)
1 cup + 4 TBSP water
2 cup Crisco (use high-ratio shortening if you have it)
½ tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp butter flavor
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp clear vanilla
8 tsp meringue powder
4 TBSP cake flour
1 cup corn starch
4 lb. C&H sifted powdered sugar
The recipe above is a double batch. Any leftover icing will be ok in the fridge/freezer.

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 3:08am
post #6 of 7

I always use a home made buttercream. I tried the store bought stuff from a local supply store (CK Brand) and thought it was overly sweet. Plus there is just something to saying that you make your own. I've acutally had people ask me if I make my own or buy it and I got the feeling that they would not have done business with me if I bought my buttercream. Now if you want to take store bought buttercream and change it (not sure with what) then that might be a different story. But this kind of gets into the debate of mix vs. scratch.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:15am
post #7 of 7

Whatever you choose, it will determine your place in the market. If you use your own and use the butter, don't worry about upping the price. If you use store-bought, your prices can be lower.

There are many options that work because perple prefer different tastes and for, some, price is important.

Find your spot. Find where you have the least competitors or just do what you like to make best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%