Trans Fats In Shortening

Decorating By LilBlackSheep Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 8:38pm by LilBlackSheep

LilBlackSheep Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 7

I found a store brand shortening that contains 2.5g of trans fats. Is this enough trans fats to make it comparable to high ratio shortening?

6 replies
ibeeflower Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

I don't think so. Sweetex makes a shortening with trans fat and one without. Since we are in the hotter months I have been having to buy my hi-ratio locally and because of this I have been using CK. I've read that hi-ratio is not just about trans fat. Is there a local cake supply store you can buy real hi-ratio from? I buy mine from a tiny baking supply store.

LilBlackSheep Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 7

I'm curious to find out because I read on here about being able to use Walmart shortening when Crisco changed their formula eliminating trans fats. Since Walmart has followed in Crisco's footsteps, I knew not to go looking there. Found some at a local grocery store. Tried it and actually, it turned out quite well. The icing doesn't have that "feeling" in the icing that Crisco does.

Finding Sweetex or High-Ratio around here won't happen. I live 3 hours from the nearest big city.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 7

Personally, my concern (and the reason why, when solid fat is needed, I generally stick with either all butter, or a butter-margarine mix that's at least 50% butter) is that synthetic trans-fats have been shown to be among the most unhealthy substances that are still considered edible.

My understanding, though, is that the few edible naturally-occurring trans-fats aren't nearly so unhealthful.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 7

You can order high ratio shortening online, 3# for $17 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024WNTU/?tag=cakecentral-20

I wouldn't worry about the healthiness of trans fats (synthetic or natural) unless you eat food with trans fats every day.

ibeeflower Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlackSheep

I'm curious to find out because I read on here about being able to use Walmart shortening when Crisco changed their formula eliminating trans fats. Since Walmart has followed in Crisco's footsteps, I knew not to go looking there. Found some at a local grocery store. Tried it and actually, it turned out quite well. The icing doesn't have that "feeling" in the icing that Crisco does.

Finding Sweetex or High-Ratio around here won't happen. I live 3 hours from the nearest big city.

Are there any baking supply stores in your area? I am about 5 hours away from a big city. But there are a couple of tiny and I mean tiny baking supply shops. Only one carries it but I'm sure they could order it for you.

But if your shortening works for you and you don't get that greasy feel then you should use what you like and trust. As for the debate about the unhealthiness of transfat...I don't worry about that. I don't eat frosting on a regular basis, nor do the people I bake for which is mostly my family. We usually eat a little bit...just enough to leave a smear on the bread. We definitely do not eat those big mounds that you see on cupcakes nowadays. The thought of eating a stick of butter isn't too pleasant either. But everything in moderation!

I do think there are some other differences between regular shortening and hi-ratio but I can't remember at the time. Something about the emulsion process. Sorry...it's Friday afternoon and I am counting the time to go home!

icon_biggrin.gif

LilBlackSheep Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 7

I know it can be purchased online. I was just inquiring about store brand shortening.

I'm not concerned about the trans fats. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%