IndydebiS Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing Question

Baking By MommaBay Updated 21 Jun 2012 , 7:42pm by MommaBay

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 8

I was going to try Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing on my mom & dad's re-wedding cake. I have a normal recipe I use but with the reviews, I thought maybe I'd try that one. I know it says Crisco-based but that was written in 2008! I know that Crisco now is 0 Trans Fat and wanted to make sure that recipe still worked with the newer Crisco. Can anyone comment on that this morning?

THANKS!

7 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 8

It works fine. Indy has even said here on CC that she didn't notice when Crisco took out the trans fats. It's a good bc, esp in the summer heat.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 8

I know that my crisco based recipe doesn't work with trans-fat free shortening. I had to search for a brand that still has trans-fat in it. I use Richfood brand.

I try a small batch first before using it on an important cake.

HTH

MommaBay Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 8

thanks for the responses gals.
I think I'll brave it and make it in an hour or so....
Hopefully, I wont have to make a second batch of something else.

MommaBay Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

It worked fine but was wayyy too sweet IMHO. I'll use it as a filling but still need to make another buttercream. Thanks again gals.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 8

Adding some salt will help cut the sweetness. Some have even said adding lemon or pineapple juice would also, but I haven't tried that. I've just added more salt to mine, and it seems to help.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBay

It worked fine but was wayyy too sweet IMHO. I'll use it as a filling but still need to make another buttercream. Thanks again gals.

I make it with only 6 cups of powdered sugar + 1/2 tsp. of salt...I also like to make it a few days before I need it because it tastes even better after sitting in the fridge.

MommaBay Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 8

I did add salt. I found it tasted like the inside of an oreo so I used it to fill my chocolate cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%