Cake Timeline? And 4-Inch Pans

Decorating By fcakes Updated 26 Jun 2012 , 5:21am by littlestruedel

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a wedding cake due Saturday at 4 PM. Can someone please please suggest a timeline for baking/decorating so I can be prepared? Thanks soo much!!

And I got these pans to make the 4-inch tier: http://www.michaels.com/Celebrate-It-4-x-1.25-inch-3-Pc.-Mini-Round-Cake-Pan-Set/bk0423,default,pd.html but will these be fine? They have a slight taper to them...

Or should I cut 4-inch rounds from 6-inch cakes? TIA!

9 replies
fcakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 10

anyone please?

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 10

Hi FC-

Here is my opinion- but you know what they say about opinions- ha

Cutting a four inch from a 6 inch would not be my choice- getting even/styright cuts is not all that easy- also icing all the raw sides will be a challenge- but... like I said- that is just my opinion.

Timeline- this depends on a few things- are your fillings-frosting perishable?-- If it is a buttercream it is fine if not put in fridge for a day or so (just put it in its box and keep in a cool place-- fridge is always better though-I'm short on frdige space so this is always a challenge for me.

Assuming- non perishable ingredients- and if time allows- Bake, tort, fill on Thursday- let settle- decorate on Friday- and last minute stuff for Sat morning-

If you can bake and freeze- even better- you can do that way in advance-

Don't forget about the cake board-- that will take longer than you think- cover, prep in advance as well- any decorations- give yourself enough time for them to dry-

Hope this helped-
Good Luck
Mo

MaurorLess67 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 10

Hi FC-

Cutting a four inch from a 6 inch would not be my choice- getting even/styright cuts is not all that easy- also icing all the raw sides will be a challenge- but... like I said- that is just my opinion.

Timeline- this depends on a few things- are your fillings-frosting perishable?-- If it is a buttercream it is fine if not put in fridge for a day or so (just put it in its box and keep in a cool place-- fridge is always better though-I'm short on frdige space so this is always a challenge for me.

Assuming- non perishable ingredients- and if time allows- Bake, tort, fill on Thursday- let settle- decorate on Friday- and last minute stuff for Sat morning-

Don't forget about the cake board-- that will take longer than you think- cover, prep in advance as well- any decorations- give yourself enough time for them to dry-

Hope this helped-
Good Luck
Mo

MaurorLess67 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 10

Hi FC-

Hope this helped-
Good Luck
Mo

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

I've not actually seen those 4" pans but I think they will be just fine.
When a cake is due on Sat afternoon you should be baking today or at very least early tomorrow. When baking is finished, let the cakes cool until just slightly warm, then wrap in plastic wrap OR put into plastic bags and fz them overnight. If you prefere you can level, torte, fill and crumb coat before fz'ing them. (That depends on the filling used.) Fz'ing them at this late date is not necessary but will help spread/lock in the moisture.
Thurs night remove from fzr to frig OR countertop so you will be ready to finish/decorate them Fri.
You don't say what icing you are using. IF b'cream you can make it now. Color any needed. All decorating, flowers etc can be made now.
Ideally the entier cake should be finished Fri night or early Sat. A.M.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

I've not actually seen those 4" pans but I think they will be just fine.
When a cake is due on Sat afternoon you should be baking today or at very least early tomorrow. When baking is finished, let the cakes cool until just slightly warm, then wrap in plastic wrap OR put into plastic bags and fz them overnight. If you prefere you can level, torte, fill and crumb coat before fz'ing them. (That depends on the filling used.) Fz'ing them at this late date is not necessary but will help spread/lock in the moisture.
Thurs night remove from fzr to frig OR countertop so you will be ready to finish/decorate them Fri.
You don't say what icing you are using. IF b'cream you can make it now. Color any needed. All decorating, flowers etc can be made now.
Ideally the entier cake should be finished Fri night or early Sat. A.M.

fcakes Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 10

thanks!! I'm using buttercream, so it can be kept out.

I'm filling and settling them today, and will cover with fondant tonight, decorate tonight if possible, and tomorrow....and deliver.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 4:08am
post #9 of 10

I have only seen 3' pans, but I love them. And I do the same as far as MaurorLess67 if needed by Sat. Adding flower nails makes the cake come out nice and flat too.

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 5:21am
post #10 of 10

I usually bake Monday or Tuesday, wrap and freeze.
Thursday I fill and crumbcoat (I fill and frost the layers frozen), then pop in the fridge. I use IMBC and have no issues with bulges so I don't have to let my cakes settle at room temp.
Friday I cover in fondant and decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%