Need Advice Attaching Flowers To Cake Dummies/real Cake

Decorating By Jason92s Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 10:05pm by Jason92s

Jason92s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jason92s Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 3

Doing a 3 tiered wedding cake, bottom two tiers are dummies, top tier is real. A picture of the flower I'm using is below. Just wanted to see if my plans make sense. I was going to drill through the fondant/cake dummies and then place a small drop of glue on the end of the stem (maybe use 1/2 - 3/4" of stem) to hold the flower in. The fondant has been setting for about a week, so it's firm. For the real cake, I figured I'd just push it straight through into the cake. Am I doing this right? Thank you.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 3

Sounds good. Are the 'stems' wire? *NEVER!* put UNcovered wire directly into a cake. You can cover the stem/wire with plastic wrap OR fondant. Another option would be to stick the wire into a plastic swizzel stick/coffee stirer (they will have a very tiny hole in the center) before inserting it into the cake.

Jason92s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jason92s Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Sounds good. Are the 'stems' wire? *NEVER!* put UNcovered wire directly into a cake. You can cover the stem/wire with plastic wrap OR fondant. Another option would be to stick the wire into a plastic swizzel stick/coffee stirer (they will have a very tiny hole in the center) before inserting it into the cake.

No wire in the stems, just a pretty limp plastic coating. That's kind of why I was thinking of drilling the holes into the styrofoam and putting a dab of glue on it. Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%