What's Happening? Past Two Tiered Cakes Collapsed...help

Decorating By aubasmif Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 11:26pm by Formynana

aubasmif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubasmif Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 4

So I have been doing cakes for 2 years now and I feel like I have achieved some big things I thought I would never do. Such as gum paste flowers, chocolate work, etc... But the thing I thought would be easiest has become quite a problem and concern for me. The past two tiered cakes I have done have either collapsed or had a huge lean to them. I have watched, read and researched until my eyes hurt on how to stack a cake. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

The last cake was 3-tiered, all banana cake with strawberry cream cheese filling, covered in fondant and all fondant decorations. I used cake boards to separate the tiers, along with plastic dowels and even a wooden dowel through out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 4

Without seeing pix of your 'leaning towers of Pizza" it is hard to say.
Here are some things to consider:
were the layers perfectly leveled before putting together?
Were *ALL* of the dowels cut to the *same* heigth?
Are you sure you pushed them in *straight*?
Once the support doweling (whatever type used) was in did you put a cake circle on & check again to see if it was level before adding the next tier?
was the table it was displayed on level?
did someone bump the table once the cake was on it?

Those are some things that can cause a cake to fall.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 4

SPS is the support system you need. It's inexpensive and easy to use. Your cakes won't collapse.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 4

Not sure if this makes a difference but, I also make sure the table is completely level before setting up a cake. I bring a level along with me. if the table is not level I will try to level it by putting a little piece of cardboard paper under the leg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%