Why Are My Jewels Sticky??

Sugar Work By qtrican Updated 19 Oct 2012 , 2:06am by MissPastryChef88

qtrican Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtrican Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 3

I have been trying to make some candy jewels for days now. I am using Chico & Jo's recipe and having a real tough time. The first couple of batches were cooked to 275 like her recipe called for. They all stuck together even though they were sprayed with pam. I did some research and everything said it wasn't cooked long enough and to cook it to 300, the hard crack stage. I did so and they are still sticky! What am I doing wrong. BTW it is not humidity, we have the AC on.

Thanks!

2 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 3

This recipe? http://www.chicaandjo.com/2010/04/26/make-hard-candy-jewels/

First of all check your thermometer in boiling water to make sure it reads 212F. Do the hard crack test--the actual water test--as well as checking the temp.

I think this recipe has too much corn syrup.Try with a half cup and cook to 290F if you are concerned about the colour. Yes sugar turns yellow as you go over 300F but theirs turned too much--maybe their thermometer is reading too high.

Use gel colour NOT the watery stuff from the grocery store. The Americolor 3/4 ounce bottles are cheap.

And if all else fails, for cake you can use IsoMalt with no water, just melt and pour.

MissPastryChef88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissPastryChef88 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 2:06am
post #3 of 3

-Use powdered color specifically for sugar
-This is a poured sugar technique; you DO NOT need to add glucose/corn syrup. Glucose/corn syrup is added when you will be blowing and pulling sugar
-Cook granulated sugar to 320º and Isomalt to 330º
-Do not transfer the hot sugar syrup directly into the Pyrex from the stove! Simply shock the bottom of your pot with an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Let the syrup sit a couple minutes, then transfer to the Pyrex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%