Does Anyone Make Their Own Butter?

Baking By Tails Updated 21 Jun 2012 , 9:30am by Tails

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 11:32am
post #1 of 9

I found a few youtube videos of people making their own butter in a blender or food processor. Anyone here tried it? icon_smile.gif

8 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

I've tried it, it's not really worth the effort to use in baking, but it tastes nice to eat. Just whip up double cream until it seperates, drain off the buttermilk and wash the remaining milk from the butter with ice cold water.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 9

I do! But only for table use. The amounts that I use for baking would make it impractical to make all of it. I use a food processor and do pretty much what LisaPeps says. Once rinsed, I usually add a small amount of sea salt. Depending on what I want it for I might also add herbs or garlic.

Oh my, I feel the need for some fresh bread and butter! icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

I do! But only for table use. The amounts that I use for baking would make it impractical to make all of it. I use a food processor and do pretty much what LisaPeps says. Once rinsed, I usually add a small amount of sea salt. Depending on what I want it for I might also add herbs or garlic.

Oh my, I feel the need for some fresh bread and butter! icon_biggrin.gif

Prima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prima Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

I make it, and it tastes amazing! It's not cheaper than storebought butter, but it's fresh, light, & 100% natural. I buy my cream from a local dairy farm. Three Little Blackbirds has a tutorial on butter on her blog. Here is is:

http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/2011/09/homemade-butter/

Alex Guarnaschelli also has a recipe on food network that adds all natural sour cream. I haven't tried this one, but it looks interesting.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/homemade-butter-recipe/index.html

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 9

When I had my own cows butter making was a regular thing for me. It was easily made in my blender, washed, salted and formed in wooden butter molds for a fancy presentation. For baking use, I just packed it in plastic cartons. I love it and home made fresh dairy products are sorely missed now that I no longer have livestock.

Tails Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 9:30am
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the replies everyone icon_smile.gif I cant wait to try it!

Our butter prices are quite high here in SA, so cream would prob work out cheaper for 2l vs one brick of butter (500g).

I'm happy to hear it tastes nicer than storebought butter. Does anyone have a butter crock/butterbell? I'm trying to find one here but looks like I'll have to order online

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 9

Just for a reference point, I used 1200mls double cream, that made about 450g butter.

Tails Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 9:30am
post #9 of 9

Thanks thats super helpful! I worked it out last night at the shop and its not actually cheaper lol but I was pricing it against the cheapest salted butter I could find, so it would be cheaper if I needed to make unsalted butter vs buying it.

Of course, if it tastes better than storebought, thats reason enough for me, regardless of savings icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%