Please Help! Icing Cake Pops(Cake Balls)

Decorating By Kimzie Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 3:31pm by mom2twogrlz

Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:26am
post #1 of 8

Hi there,
it's been a while since my last post, but here it is. I was wondering how to "ice" and what's the best ingredient to use to cover cake pops(balls)? I just finished baking and tried to twirl them in melted chocolate, but they came out a complete mess and I was hoping they would look smooth like finish and hoping to keep the stick clean.
Any suggestions,advise and tips would be more then appreciated!

p.s also when I dipped the end of the stick in the chocolate to insert into the cake ball, when I go to cover the cake ball the stick comes off. Is it because the melted chocolate is so thick? causing it to pull on the lollipop stick?

Please help!
thanks,
Kimzie

7 replies
mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:37am
post #2 of 8

Are your cake pops chilled properly? The best thing I can suggest is watching Bakerella's tutorial on her website. It is fantastic!!!

forallthatiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forallthatiscake Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:54am
post #3 of 8

Hi,

What kind of chocolate are you using? You should use the easy melting compound chocolate sometimes called candy melts (Mercken's are the best IMHO). You can add shortening to the chocolate to thin it out. Make sure that you don't over heat the chocolate as it causes the easy melts to thicken up and will make dipping harder. After you put in the sticks, make sure you let the chocolate harden before you dip them in the chocolate. Most likely the thick chocolate wasn't helping and like you said causing the cake ball to fall off. You want to make sure that you don't push the stick too far in because it can cause the cake ball to split (at least I've noticed that with the cake balls made of cake and icing mixture.) To keep the stick clean, it's best to tap off the extra chocolate before standing up the pop's to dry.

hope that helps!

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:55am
post #4 of 8

When dipping cake pops you need a nice liquid chocolate - not all chocolate has the same viscosity when melted and some will definitely be too thick for dipping. Compound chocolate or candy coatings (such as Wilton Candy Melts) are more liquid when melted and so are better for dipping cake balls.

Also, yes chilling the cake balls properly helps.

Dipping the sticks in chocolate before inserting them is a must, perhaps just make sure they are chilled well after this stage and before dipping.

Having fun practicing!

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:58am
post #5 of 8

Bakerella's tutorial is great. You need to use a little shortening mixed in your melted chocolate(not sure if you're doing that). It will give them a smoother finish. Also after dipping stick in chocolate and inserting into cake ball, stick them back in the refrigerator for a while.

Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 3:54am
post #6 of 8

wow! thank you all so very much for the wonderful suggestions and advice. You are all amazing!I will definitely try everyone of those. As for that tutorial, is it on CC?

3beautygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beautygirls Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 8

Also make sure your cake balls are really smooth if they aren't the bumps will show through on the chocolate. Thinning the chocolate really helps... make sure that you are using a deep enough dish so you can just dip it in and bring it up with out having to swirl it around.

Tap your hand that is holding the cake pop to knock off any extra chocolate, if some drops down the stick just run your finger along the bottom of the cake pop to clean it up...

good luck... it does take a few times to get it right icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimzie

wow! thank you all so very much for the wonderful suggestions and advice. You are all amazing!I will definitely try everyone of those. As for that tutorial, is it on CC?

The tutorial is on her website, we can't post it here, they will edit it. But do a google search for "Bakerella" and it will come up. She is the one who made cake pops famous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%