My Hibiscus I Have Been Struggling With

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 22 Jun 2012 , 7:22pm by BakingIrene

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

This is the best I have been able to do? Can you give me some opinions? I have to color most of them.
LL

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:10am
post #2 of 7

Hi , here is a grea tutorial. What cutters did you use and what tutorial? There are so many tutorials if you google this flower

http://www.duskyroseveiners.co.uk/page_1511102.html

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:56am
post #3 of 7

Always good to look up your tutorials. I think your petals need a lot more frilling.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 3:08am
post #4 of 7

My Petal Will not Frill. I have a cell pad and a ball tool. They will not frill.

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 3:27am
post #5 of 7

You shouldn't be frilling with a ball tool, that won't frill the petal the way you need it for a hibiscus. You want to use this type of a frilling tool (or some people just use a cocktalk/tooth pick)
http://www.cakedecoratingsolutions.com.au/products/Utensil-%252d-Frilling-Tool.html

Lay the petal on your pad, have the tool laying down with the thinner tip over the edge of the petal (have a look at my really bad picture attached), and roll the tool back and forth across about a 1cm area. You will need to practice the weight you put on the tool and how far into the petal you place the tip. When that area is frilled, lift your tool and move it up 1cm and work on that little bit and continue around the edge you want frilled.

Really hard to explain in writing - watch some tutorials, perhaps on frilling because from your pictures you do seem to have the idea for putting the flowers together.
LL

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 4:11am
post #6 of 7

Go to amazon.com and search "Alan Dunn" in books.

Open the "Sugar Orchids for Cakes" book listing and check out the "look inside" feature. In there you will see some detailed petals with frilling and the method used to create the frill. It's just a rounded wooden toothpick.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Jun 2012 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 7

I went to my local supply store and read the label. This Wilton gumpaste mix http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2011&step=4
does NOT have one necessary ingredient--a gum like karaya or tylose. So don't beat yourself up about the frilling--it's damned hard to frill a flower that hasn't got that extra little bit of stretch from the gum.

Add a little dry tylose to the rest of your Wilton stuff. In future mix the Lodge recipe that we already posted on your forum questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%