Ice Cream Cake With Cake Layer

Decorating By Bean123 Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 7:02am by scp1127

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

anyone made this? if so, how did it turn out?

5 replies
rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 6

Hi - I made a layer cake with 2 layers of chocolate cake and 2 layers of ice cream. It came out great but we didn't take it out of the freezer early enough so it was hard to cut! I think the original recipe was from Epicurious - it was chocolate cake, mint chocolate chip ice cream and ganache...delish! To make the ice cream layers the same size as the cake, I spread the ice cream in the cake pan (lined in saran wrap). I then used a round mold to make the whole thing.
HTH!
RJ

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

I make an ice cream cake using the Hershey chocolate cake recipe. It stays soft enough that it cuts well when frozen. I first bake the cakes and then press one into a springform pan. Spread a thick layer of softened ice cream, add the second cake and freeze. I don't frost the cake, just take it from the springform pan and decorate the top.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 6

I made an ice cream cake for a wedding last year and it turned out great! Got wonderful reviews from many people at the wedding. I layered chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream, chocolate ganache and crushed Oreos - layered it in a sheet pan lined with saran wrap. Put it back in the freezer to set up and pulled it out and sliced it. It was wonderful!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 6

I would definitely use an oil-based cake recipe for an ice cream cake. Butter cakes can be hard when they are cold, which is an unpleasant texture in the mouth. An oil-based recipe will be a little softer to eat.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 7:02am
post #6 of 6

Yes, I offer them. They are easier than you think. I agree about the Hershey's cake and to stay away from butter cakes.

I do the opposite from Mimi, but hers is a great way too. I make the ice cream layer in the pan lined with plastic wrap. This way, any size can be used. Soften the ice cream in both methods, but only as little as possible. Re-freezing too soft ice ceam will make crystals form.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%