Freezing Batters And Frostings

Decorating By Pattycake12 Updated 20 Jun 2012 , 1:24am by icer101

Pattycake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycake12 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 7

I am currently doing a little testing and freezing my batters and frostings.
Thus far I have noticed my american buttercream a little more loose after taking it out of the freezer and lightly whipping it. Though I did not whip it tons it could of just been a little too much because of the freezing process and rewhipping it. I like to have my buttercream a little stiff so it does not melt and look bad on the cupcake.

As far as the batters go I am very careful when constructing my batters not to over mix. I feel this gives me a more tender cake. I have noticed some folks will freeze their batters. For those who do this do you use a mixer to remix and then pour it into your pan or do you just put the defrosted batter in the pan without any mixing. How is your results?

6 replies
JillyPlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillyPlot Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried freezing batter yet, but I have seen that many people freeze in zip-loc bags and just cut the tip off to fill cupcake pans directly from the bag while still partially frozen.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

Freezing batter-does it freeze hard or mushy? I thought I had frozen some and when I had to move it it was still soft. Is it still good? I'd hate to make someone sick as I want to add it to fresh batter for a 12" cake. Use or not? TYIA

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 7

i like to freeze batter for cupcakes. I freeze it in the large, rectangle ziplock storage containers. When it comes time to scoop, i use a dishes scoop and treat it like ice cream, but leveled off in the scoop. Those dropped into cupcakes bake up beautifully! a perfect dome.

If i were incorporating frozen batter into a fresh batter, i would let it come to a consistency that would let it be mixed in without chunks. I'd worry that having large cold spots in the cake would make baking uneven.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 7

I LOVE being able to use frozen batter. I don't rebeat...just let it come to room temp in the pan and let it spread naturally. I've frozen both scratch recipes and box recipes. For cupcakes you can go ahead and cook the cold batter but for cakes I let it melt.

Some batters freeze more than others. I haven't had one freeze all the way...mainly because of the amount of sugar in it I suppose. Anyway...freeze away! Even my tempermental chocolate recipe turned out well!

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll bake a couple cupcakes with the batter and see how they come out. I just want to be certain the batter is okay. Better safe than sorry and my mind will be settled.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

I always freeze my american butter with no problems. I also freeze smbc, itmb, cream cheese icing, etc. NO PROBLEMS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%