Home-Based Cupcake Business - Some Questions

Baking By Eliwi Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 3:35am by jason_kraft

Eliwi Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:27am
post #1 of 5

Hi! I'm new here (I actually just registered) but I've been lurking for quite a while now and totally love this place.

Anyway, I've been debating this for over a year, and I think I'm finally ready to start my own business. More specifically, a cupcake business. I'm not very good with numbers, and I'm kind of getting confused on how to price my cupcakes....

I usually bake for my family and friends and they've encouraged me to start a cupcake business since I'm "such a good cook", but I'm afraid that people will find them too expensive and not even give them a chance. I live in Chile, and people here are used to buying things very cheap, and I've had a bad experience with this issue before (I used to make polymer clay charms and sell them, my prices were good, not too expensive or too cheap, but people kept telling me that they were too expensive and wouldn't buy from me anymore. Which I find really depressing, because if I were to charge less, I'd be losing money lol), so I'm really nervous.

I've seen people on this page make really awesome cupcakes, and sell them from $2 dollars to $5, but I'm just really afraid that nobody will take me seriously, again.

So, any advice?
I know I make mean cupcakes, and I LOVE to decorate them!! I pour my heart and soul into every cupcake that I make (maybe that's why they taste so good!) and I love what I do. But I'm afraid my dream will be crushed again, and I don't want that to happen.
If it's not much to ask, I'd like to know what a good starting price would be, what kind of cupcakes you guys like the most (to eat, to look at, etc), and at what price you'd buy a really nice and pretty cupcake. icon_smile.gif

Thank you!

4 replies
shanter Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:57am
post #2 of 5

Have you inquired on CakeCentral.com Español? I would guess that not many of us English-speaking CC-ers would know anything about the market for cupcakes in Chile.
Good luck.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:14am
post #3 of 5

Set the pricing and then agree with the people who complain and blame it on the "Business Manager". You can either have someone be the business manager or have that be your alter-ego that only works when it is time to pay bills.

"But the business manager says I won't be in business if we don't charge the right prices. The business manager says we have to at least cover basic costs and wages. Aren't prices high everywhere? The business manager says...."

By the way... the business manager is right.

Eliwi Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:29am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

Have you inquired on CakeCentral.com Español? I would guess that not many of us English-speaking CC-ers would know anything about the market for cupcakes in Chile.
Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't know why I didn't think of it first... (English comes to me more naturally than Spanish lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Set the pricing and then agree with the people who complain and blame it on the "Business Manager". You can either have someone be the business manager or have that be your alter-ego that only works when it is time to pay bills.

"But the business manager says I won't be in business if we don't charge the right prices. The business manager says we have to at least cover basic costs and wages. Aren't prices high everywhere? The business manager says...."

By the way... the business manager is right.

Hahahahaha I love this, thanks icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:35am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliwi

I live in Chile, and people here are used to buying things very cheap

I'm sure there are some Chileans who have more disposable income and have a demand for premium products. Your job is to position yourself as a premium business, find these more affluent customers, and market to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%